Saturday, February 6, 2010

What was I thinking??

For an extra $20 or so dollars, I could have had two nice, assembled, including tracks, pre-painted, hefty, diecast Centurions but no, I had to save a few bucks and buy a couple of re-released Airfix kits. I was a ham fisted, incompetent model kit builder when I was a kid, what made me think I could do better now that I can barely see my hand in front of my face? Oh well, the wind may blow through the gaps and the rain seep in but based on the the first outing of the Roscian army, 1 Airfix Centurion is still worth 3 Rocco Minitank M60's!    

However, 'A' squadron of the the West Hants Horse is not quite ready for battle  and 'C' Company of the Balimont Rifles hasn't mustered yet nor any of the Pherrie-Rhoad Fusiliers so the the Roscian army's appearance in a game of the month will have to wait a while longer.  Instead, the Red Queen's troops will take the field or possibly the NQSYW Prince August semi-flats. Will it be "Boating on the River" (although skating on the river would feel more appropriate) or perhaps the generic version of River Canard?

6 comments:

  1. Together with meanness, the reason I prefer plastic kits to diecasts is that each one I build is in some way unique. By and large however, this uniqueness is down to the low standards of the build and the poor quality of the paint finish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pain is worth it. I speak from experience, as I too am all thumbs. At least the Airfix kits come with rather complete instructions as compared to some of the metal and resin kits I've seen. I still need to pick up some WW2 Japanese tanks for my BKC 20mm Japanese

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes there iss oemthing to be said for uniqueness and the idunnit factor. For the latter I highly recommend the LW Russo-Balt WW1 armoured car. No instructions, more flash and sprue than kit and even after that, assuuming I guessed right, most parts need serious sanding before mating to anything anything else. I smeared mine with snow afterwards and I'm sure no one else's will look quite the same....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only wish that I had more time to make kits! I have a shedload (quite literally!) that need making. One day I will get round to it.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bob, it only took 15 months between acquiring these kits and building them so I figured I was doing good! :) I'll confess to wimping out and skipping a few of the really fiddly bits like tow-hooks. There's a lot to be said for the new easy assemble kits when it comes to wargaming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 15 months! What are you playing at? Kits need to be left in a box to mature for at least a decade. Your rush to finish your Centurions doesn't bode well for their tabletop performance. Don't say you weren't warned....

    ReplyDelete