Sunday, April 15, 2012

Anglo-Scots Addendum

Yup, The winter campaigning season has ended early. Yardwork is putting a serious crimp in my gaming! And yes, I'm supposed to be  working on the last bits for my Huzzah game  and I did get in a good casting session. I even fixed the mold sufficiently to get the brim on my sailor's sennet hat to more or less come out. But..............my mind has been focused on my 25mm Medieval Scots.

Ron sent me a couple of pictures he took of Friday's game so here's a better shot of the first battle as the lines close.
.
Now a shot of King Ross I on his new base.  He is a Garrison Nimidian King that I painted about 35 years ago. The standard bearer is from 15 years ago. He is one of a number of 14thC medieval figures, including the kneeling Scots spearmen, that I bought back then in a local shop. I recall them as being sold in bags labelled "Revenge", possibly sold by Old Glory? But I can't seem to find any mention of them on the net.

Anyway, here is a shot of most of my newly rebased Scots. We aren't using the Basic Impetus lists except as a guide, instead we are using the Grant scenario lists. In those terms this a force of 2 HC (dismounted knights forming front ranks or FP in BI terms), 1 LC (Mounted Scots CM), 7 Inf (4 FP pike, 3 FL Highlanders), 2 Lt Inf or Arty (Skirmishing archers, SI).

The other 1/2 of my Scots army (literally 1/2) are Heritage figures sold as part of a fantasy range but taken pose and all from Almark's book on Flodden and which I bought as part of my fictional Valdurian armies in college. The two armies have jostled uncomfortably together as vaguely "medieval" Scots for the  last 30 years but given that the force above is about as much as I'll need for a Table Top Teaser using Hexed Basic Impetus, I have separated them at last. I'm not sure yet what the fate of the early 16thC army will be, given that I have sold my 15mm 16thC Scots but also have my 40mm ones, but even after putting aside some more 14thC spearmen to be joined by a couple of dismounted knights to make a 4th Schiltron, I had enough archers and infantry with mixed polearms left over to get a start on a matching English army. Just add some mounted knights. Luckily, for the first time in a while, the war-chest may not be brimming but  its not quite bare either so its time for  a small order to Garrison to plug the holes.

Then there is that handful of fantasy figures I dug out last summer, and some additions that need to be mentioned. Hmm, supplementary fantasy  rules needed I think, or at least classifications. This all feels just right for a fictional medieval kingdoms campaign.

19 comments:

  1. Splendid laddies there Ross.I really like the King Ross stand- excellent atmospheric command stand.
    I have always found Flodden to be an interesting battle and James iv a fascinating character. I have the Almark book here beside me as I type- still great illustrations after all these years...
    BTw did you post your amendments for Hex Impetus at one point or am I mistaken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and no. I have summarized some of what we've done on Gathering of Hosts but not in a comprehensive manner. Ron has worked up a re-written copy of the rules including our changes and once we're satisfied, I'll see if he minds sharing and maybe drop a note to the Dadi guys to see if they mind.

      Delete
    2. That would be great if he would...
      thanks
      Alan

      Delete
  2. Always thought the Western king was one of the best figures around - makes a great Conan.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. and yes, too easy to forget that he wasn't always a young. 1/2 naked barbaerian. I almost ordered another one to lead the English but that smacked of a lack of imagination and anyway, the sort of petit geurre we indulge in would be below an English monarch.

      Delete
    2. But for a Fantasy army - I will use him as the Aquilonian general, while the Nemidian general will be a white magician, SS002, in a Stygian chariot acting as Xaltotun of Python (name sounds familiar somehow). If I ever stop painting 20mm Persians, Greeks, Assyrians and Egyptians. I'm nearly there with being being able to do the Apocryphal Well and Plataea from the Ancient Wargame - I just keep getting distracted with extra units...

      Rob

      Delete
    3. 'I almost ordered another one to lead the English but that smacked of a lack of imagination and anyway, the sort of petit geurre we indulge in would be below an English monarch.'

      There is a nice standard bearer that goes with him......just happen to have one lying around. And he really would need a King to go with it as the Scots fella seems to have one.... yep, got a couple of them lying around, think I could spare one......

      Rob

      Delete
    4. OW My Arm! OK Add 'em in! It'll save me trying to convert a knight into something special as General.

      Delete
    5. Oh no charge, just think they'd be of use!

      Delete
    6. In any case, if you send'em, I'll paint'em and employ them. But give some thoughts to what coat of arms you'd like to see carried.

      Delete
    7. Apart from MacFarlane being disqualified (?)as Scottish (therefore wrong country)- as you know, my Great Grand Father was a McFarlane, but in those days....obvious choice that might justify painting a crown would be a Prince-Bishop of Durham: http://www.durhamworldheritagesite.com/heritage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_of_Durham For MacFarlanes:
      https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=macfarlane+coat+of+arms&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=ZaWRT57MHMrb8QOYm6i-BA&biw=1440&bih=744&sei=XKeRT822DKjB0QWNz4yAAg

      Rob

      Delete
  3. I also like your King Ross.

    Yes, Revenge figures were made by (or at least sold by) Old Glory. I have a couple of bags of something or other by them somewhere . . . but I don't recall what . . . and I'm off to Victoria in about four hours so I can't go rummaging to find out what.


    -- Jeff

    PS, yes, I know that I should get some sleep, but . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, based on my limited experience, there'll be lots of time for sleeping in the hospital.

      Delete
  4. Great to see these veterans getting an outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Tim, also something oddly reassuring that not all the time and money I've spent on miniatures over the years has been blown on short lived passing fancies and abandoned projects.

      Delete
  5. Hi Ross,

    I think the Revenge line were Old Glory figures that didn't quite make the cut. I seem to recall they always had more excess lead to shave off, but were available at a cheaper price.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I would have said that mine were a cut above Old Glory. Don't recall the excess lead or the price but they have much better anatomy and poses than most OG. But nice to know I didn't imagine the name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whatever the name, this post is not helpful for someone on the "downsize"...excellent looking stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this was a downsize, I cut the size of my Scots army by more than 1/2! We just won't talk about the extra figures I just ordered to fight them.

      Delete