EXERT FROM APPENDIX 1 from Don Featherstone's Battles With Model Soldiers
(The book that got me started.)

"Nothing in these pages is a dictate, no word says you must or you shall do it this way. On the contrary, the book sets out from the very beginning to stimulate the reader to think for himself, and to use what he has read merely as a foundation for efforts and ideas which reflect his own temperament and character. Only in this way will he obtain maximum satisfaction from the hobby of battling with model soldiers."

-Don Featherstone 1918 - 2013

Friday, July 31, 2015

Twas on the Old Calcutta in 1853

Actually for me it was the MacKenzie in 1973 but 1853 was when the Recycle and Reuse led a rag tag fleet up the Newerwaussie River to deal with yet another nest of Pirates.

Two if by sea, three if by air.
 Time for something different. Game in a day or 3.
(some RAFM ancients up on ebay now under rmacfa, some 54mm stuff to follow later today)

For those not familiar with the reference:



10 comments:

  1. Look forward to seeing the game, the picture looks great. Al stewart can't be beaten I say.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross Mac,

    The photograph has wet my appetite to see how things turn out. I hope that I don't have to wait too long!

    All the best,

    Bob

    PS. I actually did the lighting for an Al Stewart concert at college back in eighteen hundred and frozen stiff (it was actually 1972!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only saw him once, 76 or maybe 77 in Montreal.

      Delete
  3. I agree with the other, great photo! Looks like the setting for a fun game. I love your little ships and boats and balloons and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the excuse for the game. Something a liitle light hearted and adventure-some I hope.

      Delete
  4. That's a brilliant photo, Ross. I love the balloons. Looking forward to more.
    I can't imagine Al Stewart succeeding in music today. He was of a certain era in folk. Our age is far too dumbed down, I fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are certainly songwriters of his quality about still but perhaps not many accompanied by commercial success. Mind you I refer you back to Horse Soldier by Corb Lund

      Delete
  5. Great picture! Love the balloons and steam boats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. A friend made the balloons. Sometimes its good to have a break from strict reality.

      Delete