Monday, August 10, 2015

Ripples

All quiet on the gaming and painting front, apart from the sounds of demolition.

This morning this was a wargame table.....

Well there we are, all in all the table I built just over a year ago (14 months) had been working pretty well. A few areas where it was hard to reach recently because I had had to add a desk to the room but over all I was pleased. Then life turned another corner and I find myself needing work space once again as I get back to painting toy soldiers and wargame figures for sale or by commission to add a few dollars to the household pot, not to mention beginning to dump more of the existing "used" collections to get me rolling and make room.  (ebay seller rmacfa  email rmacfa@gmail.com if you're interested)


This all means a better place to paint and areas to store inventory, packing space etc, so..........  Time to rearrange and downsize the game table again. I've been finding less enthusiasm for chasing a few hundred soldiers around a chest high table and thinking back to some great portable games anyway so I may go as low as 3'x4' or as large as 4'x5' which has worked well in the past but there certainly needs to be some thought about future games and about compact, easy to store, multipurpose terrain.  Lots of shuffling of things and organizing to do but I am determined to have a re-inaugural game later this week. 

Stand by.........

14 comments:

  1. Much respect on your table/space needs and decisions.

    Always a challenge to balance these needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish much power and success to your efforts, sir.

    The sight of your table in bits reminds me that at one time (when my now grown-up sons were little, in fact!) I rested my wargames tabletop (basically the same one I still use) on a strange arrangement of Dexion struts duck-taped on to a big playpen - it wasn't brilliant, but it tided me over for a month or two, but the main point is that it was playpen height, not table height, and thus just a few inches above above knee height - I'm not sure my back would be happy with that now, but it looked brilliant - looking down on the battlefield from a greater height was actually something of an enhancement, and it was, of course, far easier to reach the middle. On occasions when I am idly looking for folding tables on eBay, or designing timber trestles which will never be made, for a giant wargame in a marquee in the garden which will never take place, I give serious thought to the idea of taking the tabletop down to about 6 inches below standard.

    Ergonomists would have a fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 1/2 the games in the Game of the Week were played on a board balanced on a large collapsable wire dog crate (kennel).

      Delete
  3. My own choice is casting or gaming/photography - painting is done in the house - so now I cast what is needed, put away the casting gear and uncover the table. Inconvenient, but choices have to be made in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you much good fortune in your efforts to improve the "Ross Hobby Purse" via little toy soldiers.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. Experience teaches me to expect ups and downs, not that I'm expecting much to trickle into hobby coffers.

      Delete
  6. Tough choice to put gaming aside to do a reno, bout sounds like there is a valid plan behind it all. I quite like the portrait on the wall of the young chap in battledress - a relative?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like a vague hope that shuffling things will create mental and physical space than a plan but the preliminary steps have been promising.

      That's my Dad on the wall in his RCCS days, painted by my sister from a BW photo. Below it is a commendation for Cpl MG Macfarlane signed by Monty himself after an incident in Holland when 5th Cdn Armoured was overrun temporarily

      Delete
  7. Best of luck with your new endeavor, Ross ! I've been procrastinating most horribly with my own eBay selling, so I salute your resolve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ross - Yes, balancing the Gaming Space and Working/Modelling/Painting space is always a particular vexing conundrum ...My first Games were on a 6ft x 4ft board of chipboard - in my Study where I'd pack away the 'Games table' to do my figure painting and model building on the Study Desk. Now thirty odd years later I have a medium sized Shed- my Games Table is 5'6" x 13ft...it still functions as a work bench as well (for machinery)...my Painting and modelling table is a mere 2ft x 6ft - all done in the Shed. ( I banned myself some fifteen years ago from Painting in the Study because of the NEW Carpet....Here is Hoping ROSS that You make the best decisions to suit Your current needs. All the best. KEV.

    ReplyDelete