Monday, October 26, 2015

Chain of Thought..

So there I was, tired after a trip followed by a busy non-wargaming weekend and a bit under the weather as well, looking at my wargames table and thinking that I should clear it off, but the Archduke's latest Big Battles for Small Tables  post was on my mind. Suddenly I was poking at the ACW lads and thinking about last year's Gettysburg game. 
 I really must make some 40mm figure compatible Adobe.


That eventually got me to remembering that I had meant to start using my 3 stand ACW units as regiments not brigades. A quick search revealed that I seem to have deleted the only copy of the rules developed from the Gettysburg game leaving me with just the posts but by then I had remembered my determination to have different parts of my collection provide different kinds of games and that I have been playing with the idea of reorganizing my Sikh War era Brits ( calm down there in the back and stop waving the pipe around)   into 1 stand battalions and 3 stand brigades so I grabbed some 40's that were near by, testing out the look of 8 figures on a 60x60 mdf base. The unit turned out to be not Brits but my one unit of Mexicans which in turn reminded me that the scenario laid out on the table was inspired by a Mexican-American battle and that my MexAm Americans have only once been allowed to play themselves.  Moments later..... 
Deja vue all over again but this time the Mexican defenders are activating infantry units.

The intent was to drop a division of Americans on the table using 1 stand battalions but somehow thet turned into 2 stand battalions which are the appropriate size for a One Hour Wargame unit. So, in the end, I just went set out the game by the book and played a game using HofT with 2 stand units and the reintroduced rule allowing hits on a unit to be spread out among the stands.   
A person paying close attention to the rules and situation might have thought the Mexicans would be broken when they lost the 3rd of 6 units plus 1/2 of the objective but apparently I wasn't that person so let the Grenadiers counter attack and drive out the invaders as the clock ran out.

It was a fun little game which see sawed a bit until a last minute Mexican counterattack evicted the Americans, it just wasn't anything I was planning to do today. The table has now been cleared and I can go back to pondering big battles vs small ones, more units vs fewer, and what to paint next.   

6 comments:

  1. The main thing is it seems you are having fun!
    Also, I got a good chuckle out of the caption on that last pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice game! good luck to you that you can make as many games as often! Greetings from the far south, Carlos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Teaching myself to play solo was well worth it.

      Delete