EXERT FROM APPENDIX 1 from Don Featherstone's Battles With Model Soldiers
(The book that got me started.)

"Nothing in these pages is a dictate, no word says you must or you shall do it this way. On the contrary, the book sets out from the very beginning to stimulate the reader to think for himself, and to use what he has read merely as a foundation for efforts and ideas which reflect his own temperament and character. Only in this way will he obtain maximum satisfaction from the hobby of battling with model soldiers."

-Don Featherstone 1918 - 2013

Thursday, November 26, 2015

House Renovations, Sort of

After following some dark paths in my search for  rules to handle multiple units per grid square I decided that I was focussing on the wrong end of the stick. After yet more poking in dark recesses of my mind I remembered that, despite my leaning towards even divisions of a foot, I have twice decided that 9 cm squares are the optimum practical compromise. They will hold one 60mm base, a little loosely but with room for a fence, stonewall or a narrow solid house besides or room for a square hollow house that will hold a 60mm stand.

 So, I removed about a 1/2"slice from the long walls of my favorite homemade stone house so it would fit. Needs to be glued back together and the paint touched up but it works for a town house.
Testing the proposal on my old 9cm grid cloth. Multiple smaller houses will probably look better but its good to have options.

Before I go farther I have decided to replay the last scenario on the same 8x9 grid but using 1 stand units on 9cm squares instead of 2 stand units on 5" squares. Assuming it works as anticipated, the plan will be a grid of 12x15 9cm squares instead of 9x12 5" ones. In other words it will effectively make my table bigger. As a bonus the rules will remain easy to play off grid.

5 comments:

  1. I think you are on to something with the house idea.
    BTW I am swithering about basing my 40mm chaps on multiple bases- what do you think?
    Perhaps I could give it a go with blue tack and see what I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given my on again, off again basing tendancies, I'm probably not a good person to ask. When using a grid its more about convenience when setting up and putting away than anything else.

      Blutac sounds like a good idea for a test.

      Delete
  2. Ross Mac,

    I think that you are on to something here. By making the grid square large enough to take a unit stand and some terrain feature, it is possible to set up terrain that you don't have to constantly fiddle with when fighting reaches BUAs. Also the 9cm square with a 6cm base seems like a good ratio.

    If I applied the 3:2 ratio to my based-up 15mm-scale colonial figures (which are on 4cm bases), my squared grid would be made up of 6cm squares ... which is approximately 5 squares to a foot or a grid of 10 x 15 if I use my usual 60cm x 90cm tabletop.

    Something for me to think about, especially as I plan my forthcoming Morschauser-inspired wargame.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a slightly larger grid vs unit footprint ratio dies maje things easier. Visually, the gap between units is too large for formed units but then a handful of figures will never look like several hundred anyway so I have finally gotten over it. As you will see in the next post I have had to reset the table again since my intention was to use the same number of stands and same table size.

      Delete
    2. Having a slightly larger grid vs unit footprint ratio dies maje things easier. Visually, the gap between units is too large for formed units but then a handful of figures will never look like several hundred anyway so I have finally gotten over it. As you will see in the next post I have had to reset the table again since my intention was to use the same number of stands and same table size.

      Delete