EXERT FROM APPENDIX 1 from Don Featherstone's Battles With Model Soldiers
(The book that got me started.)

"Nothing in these pages is a dictate, no word says you must or you shall do it this way. On the contrary, the book sets out from the very beginning to stimulate the reader to think for himself, and to use what he has read merely as a foundation for efforts and ideas which reflect his own temperament and character. Only in this way will he obtain maximum satisfaction from the hobby of battling with model soldiers."

-Don Featherstone 1918 - 2013

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Meanwhile on a Table top in Atlantica

I still have some detailing, drybrushing and touchups of various sorts to do over the next few weeks but its time for a test game. Atlantica c 1830, or maybe the Eastern Townships of Quebec, near the US border.


4 inch grid on 4x5 table. First pass at painting.Detailing to follow.


More ere long.

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, this had been where I was headed with the temporary test table and I'm happy to be here. Sort of a cross of traditional table with a grid and a hint of modern printed mat.

      Delete
  2. I'm struggling to work out exactly why - but that set up is wonderfully evocative of North America. I'm not sure why - the snake fencing?

    Well done either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm not really sure either but its not accidental. The fencing is part of it but I think the painted wooden clapboard houses are also part of it.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful set-up!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it seems as wonderful when the battle is lost and won.

      Delete
  4. Looking good, Ross. I keep reading but for health reasons I seldom comment.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. This table is just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fine, Ross - just waiting for some brisk action. I agree with Conrad: it does have a vaguely North American frontier look. Perhaps that is why your battle pictures are so evocative of time and place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That table has seen a lot of paint!
    I had an old apartment once, and was told that the walls were painted with load bearing paint.
    But it was in a nice area.
    Nice looking table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instead of the Coat of many colours I have the Table of many coats!

      Delete