Thursday, June 23, 2016

Wide Open Spaces

"Room to make the big mistakes"

I set out this morning to finally make space in the woodshed/workshop/storage dump  for another cord of firewood. As I was shifting valuable flotsam and jetsam I spied an unexpected item which appeared to be a remnant of  the stuff my table surface is made of.  I hauled it out and OMGoogle! it was the 2x5ft expansion to my old 5x7 table that I had had to remove last June! Having failed to locate it last fall I  figured that I had cannabilised it but Not So!

Bringing it swiftly into the house I thought, "Here's what I need to make my table 4x6 which should be plenty big".  Just to be bold I propped it up to see what 4x7 looked like. Lonnnnng and narrow, very narrow, much narrower than it looks at 4x5, which just goes to show how easily the eye is fooled.

Then I thought the table is 5 wide, the piece is 5 wide, I could....no...maybe...well just to see.... ARGHHHHHHH! I practically got a sort of vertigo! Such open spaces! How many troops and how much scenery would it take to fill this beast?

The 40's don't look as big on a 5x6.


OK, breathe Ross!  This is the same table you were using this time last year!


So now the question is, do I make it into an extension for soecial games? or do I give  up the day to day space that I've been enjoying and remake a permanent 5x6 table? I seemed to recall that always felt odd playing a small game in one corner of the table.


14 comments:

  1. Hi Ross,
    Human nature being what it is, you will soon take all that space for granted. Make it an extension for special occasions (solo or social), and it will continue to feel special and spacious. Just my opinion, worth almost all of the electrons it took to convey it.
    But, how much of a hassle is it to add it and remove it (and store it)?

    Either way, it looks really good.
    Regards,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John that is my plan. Its not hard to store, the task is to design a robust but quick and easy way to attach it.

      Delete
  2. Dear Ross,

    Go big! If you leave it up you can then yield to the temptation of running a big game whenever you want. Friends and acquaintances can be accommodated without having to rebuild your table each time. And think of all the wonderful terrain that you can use to cover this....
    Whatever you decide, it must have been a great feeling to find the extension when you did.
    All the best,
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Jerry, finding it did save me a few bucks and a bit of work. But it did feel good to find that I had saved it.

      Delete
  3. Well done Ross. Size matters but I've found the same thing in my room. It's great to have a big table to fire the enthusiasm but in practice having the living space to move around and do different projects simultaneously is worth more, and then you can enjoy the big social occasions even more.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I too vote for BIG for special occasions. But what a (re-) discovery.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stokes the amazing thing is really that I hadn't spotted if the ladt dozrn times that I looked for a piece of something.

      Delete
  5. Looking good Ross. Having a large table makes sense - if the game is to be a small one - it is easy to cordon off the unused table surface and make use of it for rules and other parifinalia like scones and tea etc...my games table is 5'6" x 13'...and I have yet to use all of it for a game- but it's there if need be. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would be tempted to keep the functionality of the smaller table, but keep the extension for putting on a bigger or special game. It is nice to suddenly find yourself with extra space though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, that is the way I'm leaning.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Norm, that is the way I'm leaning.

      Delete
    3. I like your big table. You are right about it being a challenge to fill with terrain. But wait, now you have an excuse to get/build more terrain!

      Delete