He stuck them on some bases
then he pulled them off again....
There is a lot to be said for standardizing nonessential physical elements of one's wargaming, things like basing. It makes it easier to store spares and easier to share terrain. Part of my armies are committed to 60mm square bases for compatibility. Last November, I started re basing my Atlantica forces onto 60mm bases with the intention of being able to use 1 stand as a unit as I did when using Volley & Bayonet and the original Morschauser Meets MacDuff. With nice thick bases, which I was originally loathe to adopt but now like, you can easily add unit id and even stats to the back.
I was very happy with the results but by the end of the year they were on different bases again. It seems that I did not blog this change or explain it but the issue was purely to do with the grid size, figure size, my table size and the look of linear musket era battles. I was also very unsure about the change so kept the 60mm bases and did not flock the new ones.
The issue had not been the bases per se, it had been how they interacted with the grid. One stand did not fill a 4" grid so that a battle line looked like scattered groups. A smaller grid would not hold 40mm sized terrain or things like an artillery piece. A 5" grid worked ok with 2 stand units, or 2 units per grid, but I could not fit enough squares on my table to give any depth to the scenarios without resorting to half-squares. So I removed the bases, tucking them away pending a final decision, and did a deployment onto temporary 2" bases cut from Orange crates.
After a few outings and even more times when I declined to use the rebased armies, along with more games using 1 stand=1 unit, I've decided to take these armies off the grid and off the cramped, too small bases (as in fragile bayonets sticking out too far small) and pick up where I left in November but without the grid.
I was going to squeeze 8 figures onto each base like I did last fall but since many of the units are now organized into multiples of 6 and not all poses fit easily into a 15mm frontage, I'm going to stick with 6 figure infantry bases. Each base will be treated as a "wargame unit" but will often represent a "wing" of a battalion in theory. In practice a mounted officer and 2 to 6 stands will form a brigade for game purposes.
This brings me back to where I wanted to be apart from the grid but I've found that a painted movement stick and 1 stand units give me most of the benefits of the grid anyway. All my 40mm armies will now end up on 6cm bases except for the NQSYW Charge! units which will remain as singles. Those NQSYW units cross assigned to the Acadian project have already been provided with materials for magnetic sabots. I'm not even going to think about the advantages of converting 40 1/72nd ACW regiments on 120 bases into 60 regiments on 60 bases.
EXCERPT FROM APPENDIX 1 from Don Featherstone's Battles With Model Soldiers
(The book that got me started.)
"Nothing in these pages is a dictate, no word says you must or you shall do it this way. On the contrary, the book sets out from the very beginning to stimulate the reader to think for himself, and to use what he has read merely as a foundation for efforts and ideas which reflect his own temperament and character. Only in this way will he obtain maximum satisfaction from the hobby of battling with model soldiers."
-Don Featherstone 1918 - 2013
Thursday, July 7, 2016
The Grand Old Duke Ross, He had 1,000 toy men
Posted by Ross Mac firstname.lastname@example.org
Born and raised in the suburbs of Montreal, 5 years in the Black Watch of Canada Cadets, 5 years at the Collège militaire royal de Saint-Jean followed by 4 in the navy. 25 years with CPC in IT simultaneous with 23 years running a boarding kennel. Inherited my love of toy soldiers from my mother's father. Married with a Whippet, 10 Italian Greyhounds and 3 cats. Prematurely retired and enjoying leisure to game, maintaining our 160 yr old farmhouse and just living.