Saturday, January 13, 2018

They Shall Not Pass! (2)

That first game was quick and enjoyable, perhaps too quick, but more than that, it felt a bit too abstract. I had a similar feeling  after a couple of games last fall.
The Faraway column pushes past the Oberhilse outpost. 
I decided to play again with some variations that I had briefly experimented with at times over the last 3 years.  I also changed the armies and added a unit or two since my conversion from OHW had been flawed the first time.
The Faraway infantry and artillery pounded the Oberhilse blocking force while the Lancers manoeuvred onto their flank.
The second game was even more enjoyable and lasted slightly longer but some of the changes were merely different rather than better. The changed battle plan and different forces unit were probably more important.
The 1st or Green Squadron of Lancers met a wall of modern rifle fire and melted away but the Khaki Lancers routed the first line of infantry before being repulsed. It looked like the way was open. 
 One of the best changes was one I experimented with in 2014. Instead of sticking with my 15 year old practice of having fire or movement, I switched the play sequence to A moves, B shoots, resolve melee, B moves, A shoots, resolve melee. I also allowed units that only moved 1 area on their turn to fire.

I liked the feel of that sequence but revising the infantry organization didn't feel worth the effort.
Faraway's infantry attack went in. 6 dice for 5 or 6 vs 2 dice. Result: The attack was repulsed all along the line. Then the Oberhilse cavalry struck from behind before they could rally. Game over!
I need to write up a revised Quick Reference and then well, then I guess I'll need to play again.

2 comments:

  1. Ross Mac,

    I'd be interested to read more about the differences between the forces and rules that you used in both battles.

    It may just be my perception of the second battle, but the tabletop seems to be much more crowded.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, An MG unit has been added to each side but the reason it looks more crowded is that there are 6 infantry in each unit instead of 4. I like the look but I don't think that I want to do the work to make it permanent.

      Delete