Saturday, February 3, 2018

Trial by Battlegame

Next Saturday, weather permitting, I hope to run a live test of a smaller version of my Huzzah game  with a few of the lads from the valley. I figure I should test it at home first though.

The allied HQ prepares for battle. The frontline is composed of a battalion of Zouaves and two squadrons of Chasseurs supported by a howitzer battery but British reinforcements are arriving.
 My initial thought was to use the Square Brigadier rules but I have an itch to try a different approach.
Three battalions of German infantry prepare to attack supported by two batteries plus cavalry.

Stay tuned!

9 comments:

  1. Looking very good. I like the mix of early mechanized and almost 19th Century elements. Wonderful old cars and traction engine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are an indulgence, not particularly accurate, esp the civilian British tractor being used to pull the German artillery but its fun and suits the feel I enjoy.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to your report, Ross! Your games are always such a visual treat too. Have fun!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually hate having fun but someone has to do it.....:)

      Delete
  3. The table top has a definite "military" air about it. Light troops in a desperate blocking position hoping against hope for the promised reinforcements. reminds one of Buford at the first day at Gettysburg. Looks like a most enjoyable game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thus far, its clear that there is a LOT of work to get this ready for Huzzah in May! But I think its going to work,

      Delete
  4. Love the reports. I’m agonizing over the size of square grids right now, wondering which way to go with my 54s, so your posts are helpful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5" grid in this case. I'm afraid I may have to accept that the compromises on number of grid squares vs ease of fitting troops and terrain in comfortably makes the fewer but bigger option better for 40's and 54's. I had myself almost convinced that 10cm hexes were best.

      Delete
  5. I was staring for an hour at my table. I have practically a blank slate right now. But you are right about the fewer and better. The problem of 54s is fitting equipment (guns and tanks) as well as terrain that doesn’t look too out of place.

    ReplyDelete