Monday, July 16, 2018

Modern Old Toy Soldier Style Zouaves

The transition is complete and the Rebels have now raised a battalion of Zouaves.

My "New Toy Soldier" Papal Zouaves facing some original Old Toy Soldier examples of the Soldierpac casting I used as a basis for the master.

 The differences between modern toy soldiers and antiques can be  small enough and not really important except to antique enthusiasts but to be honest, its the old style sculpting and attitude crossed with the modern toy soldier style painting that I love.

This may not have be the worst mould I've ever made but it certainly isn't my best. While I was cleaning up the castings I found numerous little flaws. Some were the result of sloppy work on the conversion which I was in too much of a hurry to catch let alone fix. Others are due to flaws with the mould which were at least partly due to the way I laid it out. If my intention had been to paint up detailed models, I would have been sunk but luckily, the toy style is more tolerant of small flaws in detail.

Gratuitous 2nd shot.
(It was one of those bad day for photos.
)

 Now they just need to learn how to stay in formation and not fall over by going through Base Training and they will be ready for battle.

20 comments:

  1. Brigadier General Lannigan approves most heartily. You will have the possibility of all sorts of variations on uniform colors, trim and headgear. The Brigadier sends his highest compliments for more work well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness they look splendid painted up. They capture everything that is so enjoyable about the toy soldier. They look ready for the fray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb, anyone who didn't know might think they were the work of Holger Errikson, they have a real feel of age to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its odd because they were a simple clothes conversion from a Britains but you're right, they do have that HE vibe.

      Delete
  4. A lovely looking unit...
    Well worth the time and effort...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dynamic and beautiful figures Ross!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They have turned out very well , classic figures in the making !

    ReplyDelete
  7. ‘COME ON, BOYS; ONE CHARGE AND THE DAY IS OURS!’ (BIG BETHEL, 10th June 1861)

    Splendid looking toy soldiers; their pose put me in mind of this exhortation by a Union officer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magnificent Sir! They are a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice. Figures falling over is the reason I stick all my infantry on 25mm bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nip and tuck whether I went with my old washer bases or heretical multi figure bases but not only are the latter better on hills with 54's but I'm a clutz and increasingly prone to dropping individuals when shifting units to and from the table.

      Delete
  10. They look great, Ross. Sorry - I should know this - are these 40mm? The charging highlander figures remind me of some very similar ancient Britains (?) I had in childhood. I remember them with some anguish, since they were hollow-cast, and the single ankle was a famous point of weakness. Breaking one's toys was not encouraged in those days of Austerity.

    I used to fight Foreign Legion vs Highlanders - very small actions, which got smaller as the bases broke off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do both 40mm & 54mm in this style so its not given. I had 2 of the highlanders, bought with my own pocket money (all I could afford) and they both survived up to my "turning toy soldiers into models" phase (well, one lost the tip of hi rifle) .

      One has since been refurbished, promoted to sergeant, and still charges across the table.

      Delete