Thursday, February 5, 2015

Meanwhile back in Winter Camp

Winter storm after winter storm have brought enough snow and freezing rain to interrupt the winter campaigning season while I shovel but haven't completely halted all hobby activity.

I managed to do to 2 dismounted lancers which will give me a dismounted marker for each squadron.

40mm Zinnbrigade conversions.

Also, I have rebased the Scruby Brigade for 1812. Just need to add a drummer for the Fencibles. I decided to paint the bases rather than rely on the usual dark green flocking. They match the green hills better than this sandy section but it will eventually green up again as well.
40mm Scrubies from Historifigs, with some original and some converted Zinnbrigade command figures.
.
While I was waiting for glue to dry I  ran through a few test rolls of an encounter between 2 opposing battalions and then 2 opposing brigades using the British victory at Crysler's Farm as a guide. It quickly became evident that with the Americans as Line Infantry vs British as Grenadiers still ends up as mutual annihilation unless the US rolls low. US firing as Militia vs British as line should normally leave enough Brits to face a  second attack but only very poor rolling by the US would allow for the historical result. With both sides as line, Chippewa and Lundy's Lane are both possible with the dice determining if one side wins or both are blown to pieces. Essentially the low number of troops make it very chancy and will make for a very quick game. Luckily, now the troops are organized on shelf trays again, set up and take down is fairly quick and easy.

It did get me thinking though and I have started the slow process of  polishing Hearts of Tin as an alternate rule set using the same organization. The working draft is available again under blogs and rules at the right of the desk top version of the blog. This is where I was in 2012/3 when I first looked at arranging the 1812 troops to use either rule set. The detour was useful mostly as a way to eliminate nagging doubts using trial by fire.

Work has begun on planning a game for the 1900 chaps some time in the next week.

7 comments:

  1. Those lancers are fantastic Ross. Really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous mounted figures,Ross. great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous mounted figures,Ross. great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice indeed, Ross ! That's a great pose with the officer turning in the saddle. I once had a Britains figure similarly posed, your photo reminded me of it.

    Regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete