Friday, February 5, 2016

Shiny and new

It was a rainy day and I didn't feel like working so........
The first company of Belmont Rifles.
I took my 3 test castings, cleaned them up and applied paint. Not exactly professional sculpting or mold making but  I'm pretty pleased with them overall. A little rough but gloss paint and numbers will deflect the eye. I'll hopefully get the next 9 cast tomorrow followed later by 2 more units, 1 red, 1 rifle green. The original plan then calls for me to rework the master to add a low shako and pack and make a new mold.

At the same time, I took action to back date my unit of 8 x 1900 Oerberg infantry in drab uniforms to 12 x 1860 ones wearing faded homespun uniforms. 2 samples done, the rest nearly done. Mounted rifles to finally follow ere long and a game after.


Scruby 40mm ACW vs homemade. 

14 comments:

  1. They are lovely Ross. I played hokey from writing my evidence homework today and cast up another two lancers and some Irish Guards.

    It is rather addicting.

    Those chaps are lovely. You'd turn a fellas head to home mould making Ross - you really would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross Mac,

    I really like the way your new castings have turned out. They have painted up very well indeed, and are a great addition to your collection. I look forward to seeing the completed units.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dare I say your homecasts look better than the Scruby's? Oops too late, I've said it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, they are shiny AND red! (and the flash has been filed .

      Delete
  4. Lovely figures indeed! I am sure after all your great work on them they will fight well for you.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IThanks Alan but experience has taught me not to count on the tabletop performance of pretty, new, troops.

      Delete
  5. Smart looking toy soldiers ! , the home casts look excellent , Tony

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look fantastic, Ross. They look ready to take their turn on guard mount at Fort Henry, The butternut look for the Oeberg fellows is very effective as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, I'd been wondering on the best way to mix reb and Yankee units and this seemed to do it for the butternut look. Reg grey can be volunteers since thats where it came from anyway.

      Delete
  7. Ross, they look wonderful.

    Were you to do it again, would you bother casting the cross-belts on? Just paint them?

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. They aren't as straight and well defined as intended but even if they were I find it easier to paint them on.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete