Sunday, January 14, 2018

They Shall Not Pass (wrap up)

An old version of the Tin Army gave a really good game yesterday but it had so many holes and unaddressed issues in it that a quick assessment was that there were good reasons why I abandoned that line of attack several years ago. However, the search has led me back to the Square Brigadier before I streamlined it. So I'm pretending that the 3rd game never happened and am presenting a quick glimpse of the revised old style Square Brigadier game instead.

May as well call this lot British and German. Probably the autumn of 1914 and the British are trying to avoid being cutoff. 
The rules were basically a late 19thC version of the War of 1812 one that I did in 2016. Two dice for stationary fire, 1/2 dice if 1/2 move, no separate melee phase, attacks resolved 1 on 1 when they happen, 1/2 casualties for cover etc. My old pinned/disordered/give ground rule for this period was also restored and updated. Together these small, simple things made all the difference in the feel.
The game was a bit too fast paced and exciting so I forgot to stop for pictures. Here we are on Turn 6. The British appeared to be in good shape to break through and escape before the main German force can deploy.
 The end result was the best game of the 4 and makes me wonder why I had thought that I had to stream line a simple game that had worked. I never quite get everything in properly in the first draft (link) but its available playable (unless you are planning to do amphibious ops, engineering etc)
About turn 10.
I think saboteurs got at the British dice.
Sadly, just when I'm keen to get back to building the British/Faraway forces, I need to switch my attention to Prince Valiant and start working on my Huzzah! game for a week or two at least.

4 comments:

  1. I just love Aug 1914 as a game and yours looks like the perfect way to spend a January afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find your games provide me with inspiration. The 1914 setting was perfect.

    ReplyDelete