Saturday, April 6, 2024

Climbing Out Of A Rut

I've got sufficient troops, based, painted etc to have a test game BUT, I was still stuck on the rules,game mechanics, etc. units on a grid, units off a grid, neither of these had the right feel. They might work for historical armies in a pitched battle, but this game is supposed to have the feel of an illustrated heroic story of skirmishes and assaults etc,  in the Saturday paper or in a movie.  

Artist's (sic) impression of the Saxon assault.

Keeping that in mind I turned the job over to the back of my brain to work on while I just got on with converting figures. Today, I got a mental memorandum suggesting I drop the idea of "units" and just move individual figures and resolve melees considering whatever figures are in a square as a temporary unit.

I've just about got the even quicker one page rules ready for a Sunday test game.


16 comments:

  1. Battling using individual figures will certainly help give a heroic feel to the game. Excellent looking siege tower in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. They always looked so good in the Eaton's toy department when I was a kid but beyond my parents. Got one now though :)

      Delete
  3. I think you have come to right decision about individual figures, will work well I think. The siege engine is top notch, really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Elastolin, 60's version. Took me over 1/2 century to get my hands on one

      Delete
  5. Sometimes individual figures best, sometimes just becomes unwieldly. Good excuse to have duplicates :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're heading into Nottingham Mafia 'role play' territory . . . shudders! Nice shot though!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite roleplay, I lake the imagination or urge. But I confess that a bit of story telling after the fact can be fun.

      Delete
  7. I like the artist's impression.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The game is paid out and the solo game scheduled for the morning.

      Delete
  8. Yes, nice idea of individual figures, perhaps with a limit on numbers per square.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there is a physical limit and only the front rank can fight.

      Delete