Thursday, November 20, 2014

Looking ahead to the winter of 2014/15

Since the painting desk is now empty and I'm still in a quiet space hobby wise I thought I'd look ahead to the winter and next year.

One for Grampa de Solla who fought through the Great War in the RHA. 


I'm finally starting to accept that the last 15 years of exploration and speculation have come to a natural end. For now there are 2 major collections/campaigns that will get the bulk of my attention in terms of painting and background inventing. The updated version of my renewed, 40 year old, 25mm Medieval/Fantasy campaign is being covered on my Gathering of Hosts blog. The focus here will be my early 20thC  Atlantican campaigns beginning with the war in Oerberg.

The Opening Shots of the Oerberg War.


This is a planned concentration though, not a monopoly. I have some Elastolin Gensdarmes and Landsknecht arquebusiers several years over due and with the NQSYW coming to Huzzah in May, and new Prince August molds available, I hope to add a new regiment before then. I also want to pursue tidying up existing collections to achieve a unified look for each. When it comes to games on the table I expect to retain the usual variety as the mood takes me.

The real priority for the rest of this year though, will be the finishing the reorganization and clean up of my games room including shelves and cupboard. (Not to mention  some new and improved lighting!)



 
   

11 comments:

  1. Its good to have a plan- just don't forget those Airfix boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Improved lighting is a MUST as we (and our eyes) age. I know that it can make a tremendous difference in the pleasure of the hobby. Even when we are not aware of it, we are often straining a little because of marginally adequate light . . . so most definitely improve your lighting.

    As for reorganizing your game space . . . don't you do that two or three times EVERY year? It certainly seems like it from your posts over the years.

    And remember one of my favorite quotes . . . "A plan gives you something to deviate from".


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have started several reorgs but each either failed to get sign off or was overtaken by events before they could be finished. This one works but I need to finish sorting books, cleaning out the cupboards and rearranging the shelves for easier access.

      I'm hope better light will help the pictures but I hear you on the eyes growing dim!

      Delete
    2. Lighting is definitely key, but I also found that admitting reality and using magnification has really brought back my pleasure in painting.

      Delete
  3. 'Since the painting desk is now empty'

    Depending on Canadian Customs I'm guessing that will last for about 2-3 more days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? Paint units straight from the post? No no they need to age a bit!

      But close, some of last year's Garrison medievals have already taken possession of the desk.

      Delete
  4. Ross Mac,

    It sounds like a good plan to me ... and even if you don't stick to it 100%, it will keep you pointing in the right direction.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More a statement of intent than a plan but yes hopefully it will help keep me moving in the right direction.

      Delete
  5. Best of luck with your projects, I am especially interested in the Great War stuff if that gun and limber is a promise of more to come? Lighting is good. Come Easter we say goodbye to our rental house and the dark dank lightless bedroom where my hobby stuff lives. I am hoping that come the new posting we will have a nice house and that my dear wife will grant me a room with some natural light, or at least, modern wiring that allows for a lighting upgrade. Will your Prince Michael/Valliant stuff be on the GOTH blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new posting already? Hopefully it'll be a good one.

      There will be more WWI stuff but mostly WW1 tropical kit. All of the Prince Michsel games etc are here. The Gathering blog is strictly 25mm. I can't remember now why I originally thought I should have multiple narrow focus blogs. I have enough trouble keeping up with one!

      Delete