Friday, June 17, 2016

Owner of a Lonely Heart(s of Tin)

I've been busy playing a game and painting figures for my Gathering of Hosts blog but I figured it was time for a wee break and time for something here. While trying to decide what to play this weekend I found myself thinking about Hearts of Tin so broke it out for a look and update. So far so good but as soon as I dropped a few units on the table I realized that I had committed a basic error. I started fixing without properly diagnosing what the real problem was. So I spent some time going through old blog posts and archived copies or various editions.

2005. A 15mm French Revolution wargame using Morschauser Meets MacDuff just before it was renamed Hearts of Tin. (Note all  the red hit markers).

Unfortunately I have a 4 year gap in my archives stretching from 2005 to 2010, the period when MMM turned into HofT but essentially the original rules were fast, furious and BLOODY! In other words suitable for a not very serious multi-player game with a table full of figures. The early Hearts of Tin calmed things down a little but was still fast and simple. By the time I got to the 2010 edition that I have, much if the zip had been taken out and the rules were getting farther by the day from their origins. The latest versions that I have are barely related to the original rules.

That leads me to a different question: Do I actually want to recreate the game as it was in early 2009 when I played through the Red Book or am I actually trying to do something completely different in which case I should go ahead, bite the bullet and retire the name. 

That's too big a question for this weekend. There are only three of my collections open for an equivalent set of rules at the moment, the war of 1812 and the ACW and mid19thC Faraway. All of these use a battalion/regiment unit composed of multiple bases. Its a matter of deciding what sort of game I want for each of these and whether or not I want different rules for each.  

Maybe another MacDuff game then........ 


One of the earliest public outings for Morschauser Meets MacDuff.
A 54mm War of 1812 game c 2004.




7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah, I kinda wish I had more from the predigital age but then again they probably look better in my mind. I should scan and post more of what I do have though.

      Delete
  2. Do you remember this game Ross? I miss Gary's basement mega battles. This game was played using your rules. A good time was had and a conclusion reached. The rules did the job then. Maybe these pics will help jog your memory for how the rules used to be in 2007.
    https://ca.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NSHistoricalGamers/photos/albums/605265278

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who could forget the Battle of Bedford including Lawrence's early version of the famed ChickenBurger drive in?

      The general form of the game didn't change much from 2003 to 2011, mostly details. The real problem is I haven't been playing, and have no short term plans to play, similar games. Hence no incentive to go back and lots of incentive to go forward to something aimed at my current needs/wants.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm going to have Yes stuck in my head all day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes after awhile begins to feel like you're In a roundabout.

      Delete