Click on pictures for larger size. Depending on your machine, you can use your figures to enlarge or shrink the picture, or there may be a '+' on the picture which will expand again and allow you to slide the large picture to see all of it. Click on the header arrow pointing left to go back to the regular screen.

Monday, September 14, 2026

Aux Armes, Citoyens!

Long ago and far away (well ok, 1998 and 1,600 km.) I crossed the border into the USA and drove down to Pennsylvania for 'Cold Wars', a US wargame convention (That's another story.), to run a 54mm 1812 game using my  "With MacDuff To The Frontier" rules which had been published in 'The Courier' magazine the year before. To my surprise, some guys were running a  French & Indian "With MacDuff" game using homecast 40mm figures, and another game using Prince August homecast figures (Yes, that's how I started home casting figures) and Charge! one of my first wargame books which had been read over and over, especially the pictures......, a few hundred times since I bought it with my first paycheck at military college at the old age of 17!

Rob and I became friends and co-hosted 40mm games until Covid hit.  French & Indian skirmishes, then a 16thC Anglo-Scottish affair involving the English trying to get a supply train into a defended city, (A game we ran three times ending up with twice the number of players in the last game as they teamed up, and which got us a "Best of show" award). 

A few years later, we ran a French Revolution sort-of-skirmish/character game involving the Scarlet Pimpernel and all. The figures were largely homecast from Meisterzinn moulds cast and painted by Rob. I think all that I added was to sculpt and cast some peasants but the games were fun. Well, things change, people move, etc etc, and the last time Rob and I ran a game in Portland Maine, roughly 1/2 way between us we were using our mutual horde of Prince August semi-flats and Rob was moving to a different house and had decided that his French Revolution figures would be better elsewhere, like in my game room!

(btw his blog is:  https://sharpbrush.blogspot.com )

40mm French Republican Infantry

Each of his units were 12 single figures, a good choice for the kind of games we had been playing, but I have recently decided to settle on 4 stand battalions, preferably with 16 figures for line infantry but not necessarily. So, I added the handful of standard bearers then scrounged a few extra figures to boost the numbers to at least 14 figures. Rob's painting style is a bit different from mine but I think I managed to copy his style close enough to fit in. 

40mm French Regulars, still wearing their old uniforms.

Austrians and British to follow, I think I'll leave the civilians and peasants as singles!

2 comments:

  1. lovely units and a nice link to your first home casting. I have just been browsing the Prince August website and it feels like yesterday that I was looking these things in a city game store (45 years ago!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 1st encounter with Prince August was after I declined to extend my commission with the Canadian Navy and went into partnership to run a game ship. A young fellow showed me a cast semi-round marching figure. It was a round 2 decades before I bought my first mould but that first figure still marches on my tabletop.

      Delete