Long ago and far away (well ok, 1998 and 1,600 km.) I crossed the border into the USA and drove down to Pennsylvania for 'Cold Wars', a US wargame convention (That's another story.), to run a 54mm 1812 game using my "With MacDuff To The Frontier" rules which had been published in 'The Courier' magazine the year before. To my surprise, some guys were running a French & Indian "With MacDuff" game using homecast 40mm figures, and another game using Prince August homecast figures (Yes, that's how I started home casting figures) and Charge! one of my first wargame books which had been read over and over, especially the pictures......, a few hundred times since I bought it with my first paycheck at military college at the old age of 17!
Rob and I became friends and co-hosted 40mm games until Covid hit. French & Indian skirmishes, then a 16thC Anglo-Scottish affair involving the English trying to get a supply train into a defended city, (A game we ran three times ending up with twice the number of players in the last game as they teamed up, and which got us a "Best of show" award).
A few years later, we ran a French Revolution sort-of-skirmish/character game involving the Scarlet Pimpernel and all. The figures were largely homecast from Meisterzinn moulds cast and painted by Rob. I think all that I added was to sculpt and cast some peasants but the games were fun. Well, things change, people move, etc etc, and the last time Rob and I ran a game in Portland Maine, roughly 1/2 way between us we were using our mutual horde of Prince August semi-flats and Rob was moving to a different house and had decided that his French Revolution figures would be better elsewhere, like in my game room!
(btw his blog is: https://sharpbrush.blogspot.com )
![]() |
| 40mm French Republican Infantry |


lovely units and a nice link to your first home casting. I have just been browsing the Prince August website and it feels like yesterday that I was looking these things in a city game store (45 years ago!).
ReplyDeleteMy 1st encounter with Prince August was after I declined to extend my commission with the Canadian Navy and went into partnership to run a game ship. A young fellow showed me a cast semi-round marching figure. It was a round 2 decades before I bought my first mould but that first figure still marches on my tabletop.
DeleteThese look great and full of character but where is the Scarlet Pimpernel?
ReplyDeleteWe looked for him here, and looked for him there. We looked for him everywhere..........
Delete"Yet......"
DeleteI am a great fan of using larger figures for gaming and 40mm is a nice size. Your figures look superb and have got me thinking that I should dig mine out.
ReplyDeleteIt's a good medium between 20/25mm and 54mm.
Delete