Sunday, October 31, 2010

Home is where the Heart is

Following on the 2nd replay of the Ancient's version of Ambush, I reset the game as War of 1812 and gave the latest revision of Hearts of Tin a go for a couple of turns.
Col Ross staring up at the sky, shot from a saddle as he led the final charge.
( Oh dear, What a ramshackle lot, 1/2 through rebasing and really not looking their best)
It worked ok, more or less as intended but.......well...it just didn't feel like "my" rules. So I spend the rest of Saturday night putting them to rights and played through the game this morning. Ahhhhhhhhh.

I guess I'm stuck with my Morschauser inspired game, 3" melee rule and all.  I guess I shouldn't really be surprised, I've been trying to beat them into something more traditional or common for 5 years but I just like 'em as they are/were. I'm not even sure why. It may be partly because they are comfortable, it may be that I end up getting the results I want fairly easily, even if the rules do go all fuzzy and vague just when it matters!

The bottom line is I like the way the game plays and what else really matters? This fall's contemplations and experiments have confirmed the over all shape and improved some minor details. They will work as I want for my 40mm games & my 1/72nd games, time to stop fiddling with rules and get on with painting some toy soldiers and  playing some games!

Hearts of Tin may be downloaded from google docs here

4 comments:

  1. Ross,

    Comfort is very important. If it ain`t broke, don`t fix it, sir.

    By the way, are you still remembering to take things a bit easy, sir


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross - absolutely - you should do what feels right. As for stopping fiddling with the rules - I applaud the intent, but the betting is against it!

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wouldn't concern yourself - they're wargames rules not holy writ, it's not as if there's one way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wise words Jeff,
    Tony, I fear you are correct?
    Conrad, Don't concern myself?! Life without angst?
    Next thing you know I'd start sipping the water of life as I play!

    ReplyDelete