Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Sawbones

I wanted to get something added for my 40mm Oregon War which has been a bit stalled. What I really want is some more glossy, toy, 1840’s  British infantry to replace some of the chunky 1812 figures  that have been filling in so I broke out the melting pot and starting casting. These days, it takes me a while to assemble and paint even a 20 man battalion so I cast my eyes about for something else to get me going.

When I first added rules for hospitals to HofT, I was thinking of the 54mm recast Britain’s stretcher bearers that i converted to 1860's Scots Fusilier Guards but they’re a little big for my current plans.

A few minutes rummaging through the 40mm spare casting box(es) led me to some Scruby ACW artillery crew which would be perfect if they weren’t 1/2 converted into signalmen already (hmm must get back to them). Plunging back in, I soon came up with a Zinnbrigade limber rider as patient, the cook from the camp stove kit as orderly, a camp fire and kettle from one of the horse molds and one of my original officers as doctor. I have a $ store wagon to go on the base once I add new wheels, but for now I’ve borrowed one.

 I don’t know if 1847 American military doctors wore white smocks but I figured, if it was good enough for William Holden in the ACW, it was good enough for me!  Meant to remove the doctor’s hat and sash, but, oh well. Now to see if the hospital rule works!

4 comments:

  1. Great stuff Ross. I have doctors for my napoleonic armies - though I haven't come up with rules yet. Great to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross,

    You continue to be an inspiration . . . not that I intend to copy what you're doing, but I find your imagination ala gaming to refresh my own thinking.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting site with a lot of variety. Well done - keep it up.

    Frank
    http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ross - another entertaining and thought-provoking post. In principle, I like the idea of having medical support for my Napoleonics, but I was put off the idea long ago by Bruce Quarrie's book, which seemed to calculate you needed 1 model ambulance for every 2 battalions or something, which is definitely a bit wholehearted for me. Must look at this again.

    Anyway, never mind all this - where's the balloon?

    Tony

    ReplyDelete