EXERT FROM APPENDIX 1 from Don Featherstone's Battles With Model Soldiers
(The book that got me started.)

"Nothing in these pages is a dictate, no word says you must or you shall do it this way. On the contrary, the book sets out from the very beginning to stimulate the reader to think for himself, and to use what he has read merely as a foundation for efforts and ideas which reflect his own temperament and character. Only in this way will he obtain maximum satisfaction from the hobby of battling with model soldiers."

-Don Featherstone 1918 - 2013

Sunday, February 1, 2015

One last word on 1812 (for now)

I usually start by looking at scales but since the authors are dismissive of a too rigid adherence to them I didn't bother this time around, until today.  I'll spare you most of the calculations but assuming around 25 men per figure giving a fairly reasonable average of 400 men per battalion and near 1" per figure, I get a scale of around 15 yds per inch (16.6something) which gives me a rather reasonable 200 yard long range for musket fire using Charge! and fits Crysler's Farm nicely onto my table, in fact it was the scale I had been using for MacDuff in my efforts to write a set to use instead of the classic Charge!.

Hunh! How about that?


From the archives, the 40mm lads fighting Crysler's Farm c 2011.

2 comments:

  1. Time was I swallowed all the scale arguments without question - in my old age I'm more of the opinion 'It's a game,does it really matter.' This has made me a much happier person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame Charles Grant for corrupting me when I was young.

      Delete