Friday, January 16, 2015


Historifig Scruby 40mm ACW cavalry repainted as Hougal Light Horse. 

"A" Squadron of the Hougal Light Horse is now ready to take the field in defence of the new Republic of Hougal.  These Volunteers, all veterans of the Oberhilse Blue Dragoons from before the Separation, are wearing a uniform from an illustration labelled Spanish Cavalry 1890 in Vol 2 of Funcken's Uniforms of the World. When trying to remember where I'd seen it I looked first at the similar light blue uniforms of the French Chasseurs but the caps were wrong. I broadened the search and found at least 1/2 dozen countries with light cavalry in light blue with red pants. Having found the original I searched on Spanish uniforms but found that they didn't exactly match Funcken's illustration. I then resorted to the marvelous Vinkhuijzen collection in the New York Public Library Digital Collection and found the matching colour scheme under Chile 1890 but with a slightly darker blue. 

Close enough, the intent as always is to pretend that it is 50 years ago and I walked into an Eaton's store and found a box of handpainted 40mm SAE cavalry (or something similar) and brought them home to add to my army. 
Soldado de cazadores y su cent... Digital ID: 84094. New York Public Library
Chile 1890: Soldado de cazadores y su centineraPicture from the NYPL Digital Gallery Vinkhuijzen Collection of military uniform prints.
Three more Dragoons are set aside for "B" Squadron but next up are the first squadron of Blue Dragoons in the 1899 field uniform. They are taking longer because after popping off the old epoxy putty floppy cap tops that I had added to the original kepis, I had to file the kepis down a bit before adding, new smaller peaked caps from epoxy putty. By tomorrow I hope to have them finished. I have resisted the urge to put them in drab with light blue pants and have just gone for the usual 'modern' dark blue Oberhilse tunics and the modernized caps. I should add rifles but need to cast some up so maybe later along with dismounted dragoons.

The 2nd Hougal squadron and some dismounted Light Horsemen will follow. This will give the Hougal Rebels all three arms, well 2 1/2 I suppose as they only have the Mitrailleuse not real artillery, yet.

8 comments:

  1. Great figures Ross! The NYPL collection is a wonderful resource which I spend many a happy hour browsing in. Coincidently I was using it this morning and was thinking of mentioning it on my blog today- great minds think alike ,eh?
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the customary response is "and fools seldom differ" ☺

      It is a great resource, I must have spent hours perusing 1850's and 60's prints a decade ago.

      Delete
  2. Very handsome cavalrymen. And the Vinkhuijzen is a fantastic resource, yes.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  3. With cavalry like this, the Hougalis are bound to prevail on the battlefield!

    Seriously though, I do like the look of these 'new' troops and look forward to seeing the other new troops as and when they are completed.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These will certainly give a "civil war" feel to the rebellion when they meet former comrades in arms on the tabletop.

      Delete
  4. I like the way these 40mm Scrubys look. I recently (and for the first time) painted some Scruby 25mm Mex-Am War Mexican infantry. Quite enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete