Saturday, January 3, 2015

Charge!-ing into the New Year

It happens.  Old Longtime wargaming friends get together socially and, being left unattended for too long, an impromptu wargame breaks out. In this case Charge! played with 10mm Pendraken and centimeters instead of inches.

Veteran Old School gamers, esp Charge! players, may recognize the inspiration for this impromptu game.

So there we were, Rob (Captain's Blog) was in town visiting family and helping to sort through the wargaming collection of the late Joseph Lappin. I picked up a box of terrain bits, more on that later, and we headed over to Lentulus' (http://enlightenmentimaginings.blogspot.ca) place.

Eventually, the talk started to slow down and the "menfolk"  drifted upstairs to the gamer's library and refuge. It seemed a shame to me that 3 longtime gaming friends who don't often get together should pass up the opportunity to roll some dice so I suggested we break out some of Lentullus' figures.

He suggested his 10mm Tricorne armies and Hearts of Tin which is what the last few games were played with back in 2012 but I haven't played them myself for ages and am now well confused by 18 months of Square Brigadier and didn't want to go there. I countered with Charge! which we had used successfully with the 10's a few years ago and which we had all played back in the 70s.


There was no copy of the rules to hand and the figures are multi based  but I've played enough over the last few years to carry the basics in my head and we were all agreeable and able to get past any minor glitches (like the accidental 1st fire bonus when I counted groups of 6 not 8 10mm figures on the first round of infantry fire.


The scenario was loosely based on Blast Hoft Bridge with each side taking 2 guns and 6 units of their choice. (Units being battalions of 24 infantry and squadrons of 9 cavalry rather than the suggested example ones.) We diced for sides and off we went. Lentulus and I with the  Stutz Baerkatz against Rob and the Bravants (my usual command). 

Luckily for us Rob unwittingly selected the Bravant Guards, one of the unluckiest battalions ever painted and they lived up to their reputation. (So its not just me) . 

An hour or so later as the firing died down and the smoke cleared, it appeared that the turning point had come early when I had chosen to unlimber sooner, moved my gun 6cm with a 50% chance to fire and suceeded, rolled a 4 to hit his artillery at 40cm range (4 ft range band) and then rolled a 6 to destroy Rob's gun before it even had a chance to unlimber. With such small forces and with our side only needing to hold the bridge, that 1 gun superiority tipped the balance with round after round of cannister. Well, after all, what did Napoleon ask? 

Old friends, conversation and a good natured, fun, game. There are many worse ways to pass an afternoon and evening.


12 comments:

  1. Charge and Blasthof Bridge - you can't get better than that ! , Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll second that and add a third - the idea of Charge with small scale figures- awfully tempting...but how to base /do from scratch?
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We improvised using what was on hand but if I were doing this from scratch I would do 3x6 man bases for infantry and keep the 3x3 that he used for cavalry. That way a 6 sided die would do to track hits. There are some simplifications esp for cavalry charges but it was "close enough" to make a good game. That said the Hearts of Tin games were also good, I need to revisit them.

      Delete
  3. What an excellent start to the new year! Looks and sounds like a lot of fun with a congenial group of fellow gamers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evening Ross. I very much enjoyed our impromptu game yesterday. Despite being saddled with the Bravant Guards, I enjoyed the game. I hope we'll get a game in before another 3 or 4 years pass.us by. Today was my last full day in Halifax and it was spent playing War of the Ring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that our trip to Montreal was over 3 years ago. Definitely have to do better.

      Delete
  6. You should have a copy of the QRS on your phone in the future...:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I had access to it and offered to print a copy off but the consensus was that it wasn't needed. The one glitch wasn't memory related.

      Delete
  7. An excellent start to the year, couldn't agree more with the final sentiment. Stutz Baerkatz - an allusion to a fin piece of 1970s television. ;)
    Nice to get an update on Lentulus.
    Best for 2015, MP

    ReplyDelete