Monday, August 17, 2015

Making Choices

I had almost forgotten how hot it gets upstairs when the temperature outside gets to be 30C and more, but one must suffer for, well you know. 
Scenario 2 set up on a 6" grid subdivided into 3" squares, sometimes visibly.

At any rate, I am making progress. After 2 false starts I have a workable arrangement of space and furniture, just the tidying and details to finish up. Today I turned my focus onto the hobby aspect, in particular the table.

There were 2 main questions when I started: "What size of table?" and "What size grid?”. As I mucked about trying various jury rigged boards it occurred to me that I also needed to decide a question that has been in the back of my mind for a while: ”More units or bigger units?". 

I had been leaning towards bigger units, hence the move from 4" grid to the 6" one. That hadn't worked too well as it tended to look like there should be more detail and more depth to the units otherwise it was the same game, just less convenient without being more esthetically pleasing since the units were still too small.

Unit and base size as well as terrain, especially buildings, are all factors. After various  experimenting and testing, the easiest solution also appears optimum so I am going to go with a 3" grid with a non-gridded or different grid cloth over the top when called for. The main downside is that I need to bite the bullet and make the new 3" grid friendly buildings that I've been putting off for a couple of years.

That just left the size of table. 36” deep is comfortable but 48" too deep for me to reach across. 60" is the most I can squeeze in without getting in the way when not in use and 48" is the minimum I will accept. Keeping the possibility of a double 3"/6" grid I decided to split the difference and go with 42" x54". It'll just be boards on a card table for now but this fall I'll work on a permanent table on casters with undertable storage that can be rolled when I have company so we can sit facing each other.

2 comments:

  1. Ross Mac,

    I think that you have made some very sensible choices. I have decided to stick with my 36" x 48" table (which can be expanded to 48" x 72", even though space around the table would be a bit tight!) although most of my wargaming is likely to take place on my mini-campaign board, which is 24" x 36".

    I am also going to opt for lots of smaller units rather than a small number of large units.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I accidently shrunk my mockup table to 3'x4' when moving it and didn't notice till 1/2 way through the game but it was convenient so I think that may be my normal size as well.

      Delete