Saturday, July 29, 2017

Return to Atlantica

Serendipity!

I finally have the last piece of the puzzle that is my Plan sorted out.

Kyuquat Wolf Brothers Regiment in training.
I finished painting my Rosmark Provincials this morning. Just need to finish the bases and design a flag. With the baseless lads lined up shoulder to shoulder on my gaming table I was once more bemoaning my current lack of any reasonable, all arms, 40mm, horse and musket, force of reasonably sized but compact battalions for teasers and the like. While doing so, I opened the drawer full of Lost Bases to get..something, anyway I noticed a stack of removed bases and hauled them out to see just how many there are and if I could think of something to do with them.

The 45mmX45mm bases will nicely hold 6 of the Prince August figures and three such will fit in a 6" grid square, but more importantly, if deployed with reserves in a second line I could field up to 12 such battalions on my current table plus cavalry and artillery in proportion. The new Provincials gallantly stepped onto the bases to prove that six will fit comfortably but they are pledged to be singles on a wider base.

Glancing up at my shelves I noticed the ragged horde of half-pay Faraway troops.  Troops that I want back in action once I figure out what that action should look like in a world of no duplication. Then I looked at the bases and remembered that they originally held 6 of the Faraway and Oberhilse figures organized into 3 stand battalions. I also remembered that I had disbanded the 1840's Oberhilse troops and slotted many of them into the early 20th C collection. Then I remembered my plans for a Colonial-ish Faraway game once I figured out what it would look like. AH!

I even had a few castings on my desk to start the regular portion of the Kyuquat army. AHHA! This had been going to be  my Not Quite  the Mex-Am/Sikh or Indian Mutiny War but had stalled, partly to work on other things but also because I had wondered whether it should be a "normal" OS battle game or should be a semi-skirmish game. I have the skirmish game now, as part of the NQSYW so it can proceed to be my 40mm conventional OS Battle wargame that fits on my table, as originally envisaged.

This sort of thing. A cobbled together rules test from 2015.


I have enough "ready to play" Redcoats  for now so the focus will be on sorting out the native forces. I will do two Zinnbrigade native battalions in white coats and shakos. I now have an Oberhilse "European" volunteer battalion all based up, still wearing a mix of their old uniforms, and will cobble some irregulars again from Indians and the Brethren. That will be enough to start though it'll take a few weeks to get it on the table. If I rebase the temporarily based 1812 figures to match I'll be able to get a game in even sooner and prove the theory.

That will be the last loose end tightened down! Eight active Collections.

4 comments:

  1. While not quite India - you're definitely heading in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a terrific plan. Thanks for sharing your thinking about what you intend over the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A slow time of the year for my hobby. Too much rare good weather!

      Delete