Saturday, May 26, 2018

Now that that's over

As often happens I am back from my trip with a head full of ideas.  This doesn't involve any new periods but it does involve some new moulds, lots of painting, a shift in approach to some of my periods meaning new or revised rules and a partial return to larger units which means infrastructure work as well. 
More of this.

First Hurdle. My plan calls for each part of my collection to offer a different gaming experience but old habits coax me to share a good idea until everything blend together. Last summer I began the fight to restore the differences again and give myself a functional, more traditional feeling horse and musket game. One part of that is going to be the overlapping War of 1812 and the overlapping, non-historical,  Red Queen vs the Brethren campaign.
and more of this.
A call for a return to bigger armies means that, I'm going to need more men! I started sculpting a new US infantryman in early shako a few years ago and finished him, ready for casting last summer. He got pushed out of the way by  the 20thC but it is time for my first new liquid RTV mould in a lonnnnngg time followed by a new US battalion. At the same time, I finally have two dozen Scruby "natives" and "Boxers" which will be joining the Brethren once painted.

"Hurry up and wait!"

While the new figures are being done and work continues on reorganizing and rebasing my old 1812-1840 figures, I will  revise either MacDuff or Hearts of Tin to suit what's in my head. Expect a game by early June at the latest.


The Turks are coming! The Turks are coming!

Second Hurdle: Rob and I have agreed to do a 16thC Turkish vs Imperial game next year if I can get the Turks done. I do have some Turks already and some Drabant Poles and Russians which will be pressed into service as some form of Balkan levies  and some of my Elastolin Huns can be pressed into service as Tatars but I need Akiniji and Jannisaries. I'll tackle sculpting a Jannisary first and then do a cavalryman to fit the Zinnbrigade horse molds, especially the Hussar horse with large, pointed shabraque.  I intend to have a small Imperial-Turkish game on the table in time for my birthday in late July.

Patiently waiting.
Third Hurdle.  My room is still a mess! The table is only a few scraps of plywood cobbled together shakily so building a proper table is a top priority, maybe just a little bigger. Building more shelves and storage for the larger armies is also a high priority. Ideally I want things done by the end of June. Just got to draw some plans, find some spare cash for materials, and do the work.
Not done with these yet though, 
or these (New rules already written) or any of my collections.

Lots more ideas bubbling in my head so we'll see what surfaces.



14 comments:

  1. Alas the wargamers greatest challenge: STORAGE!

    May you win that battle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very curious to see you revisit the War of 1812.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a few decisions to make like grid/no grid but basically following on from last October..

      Delete
  3. Ross- as happens after visiting and participating in a sizable Wargame CON- returning with a head full of plans...wish you well Ross in your endevours. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ross Mac,

    There's nothing like coming back from a wargame show, convention, or conference with lots of ideas.

    All the best,

    Bob

    PS. Some of your photographs don't seem to be there when I look at your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that, None of the photo's are new, they are all just links to pictures in old posts and I'm guessing some of the links my not pass current restrictions.

      Delete
  5. Ross,
    Sounds like you had a great show. It will be very interesting following the progress of the Ottoman Turk project. Will you utilize some sort of mechanism to distinguish between the Akinjis and hordes of "scum infantry" who fought for loot and the more disciplined Spahis of the Porte and Janissaries? And don't forget the Ottoman artillery....

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ross,
    Quick follow up - two of the pictures you posted did not come out.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the pictures, None of the photo's are new, they are all just links to pictures in old posts and I'm guessing some of the links may not pass current security restrictions for some viewers.

      Delete
  7. I'm interested to know what sources you're using for the Ottomans? Can't wait to see them ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have George Gush's old book with the collection of magazine articles, and several relevant Ospreys but my two main sources are old, as contemporary as possible, woodcuts and illustrations, wherever I can find them in books or on line and ......my Elastolin Turks!

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to seeing all of these ventures Ross

    ReplyDelete