Wednesday, January 16, 2019

The Glossy Shire Regiment

I stole enough time today to paint up some new Prince August castings from old moulds.

The Maritime Alliance training a new regiment or....
This is a mould I've had my eye on for 20 years but having discovered how diverse the Prince August Rosbach range is with regard to size and style, I have been reluctant to order  one until I at least saw some pictures. Its been in my shopping cart a dozen time but when the total was consulted, this was one of the moulds that kept being trimmed 'for now'. 
..perhaps the 28th charging at Quebec.
Well, at last I saw some pictures and here the lads are. As suspected, they are perfectly serviceable as late 1750's/early 1760's British infantry wearing their coats over the waist belt as seen in some prints. There is no cuff slash but the later style of small cuff with slash is easily painted on well enough for glossy toy soldier style.

18 comments:

  1. Splendid. I always liked the look of the red coats with buff distinctions in the tricorne eras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes a nice break from all that red and blue or blue and red.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful figures and paint job! I am glad you got some wargaming related time. I was getting antsy on your behalf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. They take after me... Ooops that was suppose to be don't take after me.

      Delete
  4. They look lovely! Very much in the spirit of illustrations from the children's books on Wolfe and the Plains of Abraham I remember reading. They do rather tower over those poor chaps in the last photo, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The apparent size thing (which I hadn't noticed) is an optical illusion thing due to the camera angle I think and helped by the kneeling or crouch poses of the militia and first nations.

      Delete
  5. As an ex-'Glossy Shire' I can only commend you on the fine action you have captured with your brush sir!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! So when the Colonel is painted I now have name for him, suitably tweaked of course.

      Delete
  6. Yes, PA skraelings with muskets added. The kneeling chap has a skraeling head and Zinnbrigade Prussian body.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To this day I regret having given away all my Prince August 40mm moulds (about 20 different poses.. including the complete artillery set of moulds), about cast 300 figures and enough lead to make that many again. Worst bit of all, the guy I sent them to (I even paid postage) never ever... ever used them even once. In fact gave them away a month later :-(

    This `possible` 28th charging brings back many happy and nostalgic memories.

    ReplyDelete