Friday, November 13, 2020

The Nine Year Hex

 By 2009, playing on Ron's Hexon covered table was having a strong impact on me. After a year of experimenting with  a 3" gridded Hotz mat, I broke down and hand drew a 4" hex pattern on my table and made some so-so hex hills. After  9 years of experimentation with various square grids (much easier to make hills), and occasional reversion to no grid, the hexes are back!  

June 2011: First battle on my newly hexed table: (link) (using an early version of the Portable Wargame)

Four Inch Hexes work for the Little Guys

 

and for the big guys! (Hence the decision to stick with 4 figure "companies".)


They even work for skirmish games!

At least this will be true once the table is fully covered and ready for a game.

We have work to do!!

17 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing hexamples of your Games on your newly hexed (or rehexed) table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by what's been done so far, there'll be no close ups!

      Delete
  2. Splendid Ross, you did a good job of them thar hills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patience is always required drawing hexes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I await hex developments with interest...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite hexciting ...๐Ÿ™ƒ

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joking aside. Do you use the same boards over again and just paint out the old grids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and no, or not always. The board started out as 6'x8' in 2009 with no grid. In 2011 I added the hex grid. A few years later, changes to our household led me to reduce the size of the table as my hobby room had become office once my frail mother in law moved in, and workshop as I tried to make a little money. During the following years I experimented regularly with style and size of games and table while also testing both table size and size, and shape of grid as well as styles of game. Sometimes that meant doing a cloth over top with no grid or various experiments, sometimes it involved repainting and/or carpentry.

      Upside of premature retirement is time to experiment, downside is empty warchest! Most of my games are very different to what I was doing a decade ago (check some of the 2010 posts) but they are just right for now.

      Delete