Sunday, November 8, 2020

Born In Battle

Today felt like a Sunday (yeah OK it  was a Sunday but you know what I mean) so I put aside the long Toodoo list and turned to the game set out on the table.

  

My original intent had been to go back to Medieval Mayhem, more or less as published in Battlegames, but the more I though about all the die rolling and measuring, I started to hesitate. After pondering over coffee and letting my subconscious do its bit, I decided to revisit the idea of a skirmish-y game on a grid. (This is something I  thought about last December : see post). Those experiments didn't lead anywhere but while I was pondering the pros and cons I remembered one of the prime tenants of my collection: each part must provide a different kind of gaming experience. I also remembered that one part of it was supposed to be a sort of game in a box where if I had to suddenly pick up, abandon the house and go live somewhere with confined space, whether a small flat, a spare bedroom with a relative or a  (may it never be so) an Old Age Home sort of thing (a posh one that would let me have a small box of hobby stuff and be cheap- dream big they say).  Anyway the result was too radical and there were some bits I couldn't quite imagine but I got half way there and had an enjoyable game  but one where the radical ideas suddenly appeared and a light came on to show what might be just the sort of different and practical but fun game, and one that might be attractive to some non-wargamers. 




 So, now that I have a draft of a game very distinct from my others, I'm going to replay the scenario!
Stay tuned.

(OK OK, It was a tight game but at the last moment, Prince Michael grabbed 2 out of the 3 convoy carts and broke the Hun's army morale on the same turn.

8 comments:

  1. Much todo about nothing... ha ha

    I think I know what you mean about it feeling like a Sunday.

    The game sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully when this unseasonably warm and sunny weather goes away, I'll get back to it.

      Delete
  2. I very much looking forward to seeing your game and hearing how it went...



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first 2 turns felt just right, then duty called, and called, and called. Eventually I'll time to resume, I hope.

      Delete
  3. Have you tried table top gaming by Mike smith. Grid based with some nice ideas. I think it was partisan press who published in the uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and suggestion Norber. The short answer is no, while I've heard of it, I've never read or tried it and one of the few negative aspects of premature retirement is tight budgets (a known consideration in the decision) .

      Luckily, while I'm always willing to play commercial rules with friends and to try out, borrow and adapt ideas from others, for 50 years, since Don Featherstone's encouragement in BWMS started me trying, I get as much fun out of experimenting with rules as I do out of any other aspect of the hobby. Occasionally I even get to share them with others.

      Delete
  4. The Archer shooting down always seems like a strange figure, until it appears in the right context and suddenly looks fantastic! Looking forward to reading about the replay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've felt obliged to include more castle walls, towers, cliffs etc on battlefields just so these lads can do their thing.

      Delete