Friday, December 30, 2022

1st Lacolle: From Small 1812 Action To Generic Scenario.


My Boxing Day scenario wasn't plucked out of thin air but was based on the small but important action along the LaColle River that took place on November 20, 1812. It's not even mentioned in many books or websites on that war but the small post at LaColle, 10 km from the US border, (and about 40 km from St Jean sur Richelieu where I spent spent 5 years at Military College) was all that stood between General Dearborn's  6,000 man invasion force, heading for a nearly undefended Montreal a mere 65 km away. (40 miles) in the direct road cutting cross country rather than following the Richelieu River.

The outpost was defended by about 200 Canadian regulars, embodied militia, and Mohawks, reinforced later by 300 more men under Lt Col. de Salaberry. The American Advanced Guard under Col Pike consisted of 600 men, a mix of Regulars and Militia.

This article  on the  1st Battle of Lacolle Mill   at the  War of 1812 Website  provided the numbers I mentioned above but George Stanley's book "The War of 1812 Land Operations" provifed more detail on the units involved, and a slightly different variation on what happened. 

Various books and websites provided various other tidbits like the US dragoons crossing the damn. Unfortunately I didn't think to keep track of what bits came from where since I was aiming for a generic scenario.


Somewhere in the West Indies, a Republican force approaches a British outpost guarding a river crossing....


I'll post the scenario once I get it written up and test it in the West Indies. 
Oh yes, and I've been asked why I called it the Sticky River. Essentially  "la colle" transates to "glue" "paste" or "teaser", the first two may have referred to the swampy banks of the river, while the last seemed appropriate for a Tabletop Teaser but I didn't want to have the teaser confused with an attempt at a refight of the historical engagement.


In the more immediate future I wish all my readers and those dear to them a....

HAPPY NEW YEAR! 
  
 Here's to 2023 being a good one!



8 comments: