Monday, January 2, 2023

And Now, Our Plan for Twenty..Psst...What? ....We don't have a plan?

 Happy 2023! May the coming year be as good a year as possible for as many of us as possible. 

I'm not yet ready to write up the generic scenario that I've been trying out, but the 1790's West Indies version was another cracker of a game. It also came down to the last turn after various turns of fortunes, but this time it was the 'Blue army' that won a victory on the first 1/2 of the last turn, breaking Red's morale before they could launch a desperate counter attack.

Oh dear! Looks like horrific carnage. Since 'hits' are supposed to reflect fear, fatigue, ammo shortages etc etc, not just dead and wounded, I think I might go back to tracking hits on the small dice I bought for the purpose rather knocking guys over.

One of the things I noticed after the first game was the foot of table next to the wall was completely unused while the other side was over cramped. So, today being a day for new starts, I essentially shifted the terrain one square over. Since I like multi-period scenarios, I intend to give Prince Micheal's men a go at holding the line. 

As long as I'm not being very historical, I might just wait until I get my Christmas present to myself painted up and ready to join their barbarian allies.

Day of Battle 40mm printed Orcs

Oh dear, it is a slippery slope isn't it? 



30 comments:

  1. Your hopes for 2023 seem the most realistic available, given the current state of the world! The 3D printed figures look very nice! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. At least I won't have to fret about deviating from the plan. (not that I ever do.....)

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Ross. Those resins look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slippery slopes provide no end of enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, but preferably the slope won't end in a bubbling cauldron!

      Delete
  4. Those Orcs look nice and tempting , all the best for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those 40mm orcs do look sooo tempting . I looked at the link and was most taken with the other lotr figures. I am going to resist, for now .
    I look forward to seeing yours painted and in battle .
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  6. And a Happy New Year to you. Thanks for another year of entertainment and inspiration, looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy new year to you sir!! and I must admit I really like the orcs, lovely looking figures and very tempting indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those orcs look the business, I'll look forward to seeing them in a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And who knows, maybe this year games at the community room will resume?

      Delete
  9. I think I've given up on setting targets or making plans. It's like the war thing - no plan survives the first shot of battle. I'll be happily doing things then WHAM! something else distracts me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. War is hell . . . and can lead to the occasional repaint! Happy New year to you and yours Ross!

    H

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year Ross…
    I quite like the look of knocked over casualties in these old school games… although casually markers also work well… I suppose it really depends what you are in the mood for.

    All the Bart. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, mood and how many minis/units are on table.

      Delete
  12. From the knocked-over figures, you can see it was a fast and furious game. It does have a certain Wellsian charm..
    Plan or no plan, I'm sure you'll have fun with your hobby, and I look forward to reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it. Yes it is a bit of 'playing with you soldiers' fun BUT it also helps following the action a couple of days later.

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a good plan to me. Very similar to mine. Just looking forward to another new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And 3 to 1 odds that I'll finally be at Huzzah again this year, if the border stays open, world war III doesn't break out etc...

      Delete
  14. Never admit you don't have a plan. If things go well, it was all in accordance with your secret plan. If things go poorly, subordinates--or dice--failed to do their part in your plan. I suspect the majority of military history's successful plans were invented after the battle or campaign was over.

    And good luck in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, of course, even the absence of a plan is in itself a plan of sorts, but somehow while "do whatever I feel like at the time with what resources I have on hand" may be a plan, it didn't seem worthy of a press release. :)
      All the best for you this year ahead.

      Delete