Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Back From The War(game)s

 Spoiler!! : It was a great long weekend on all fronts! ....  And an apology for not taking more, and better pictures!

Friday Afternoon's Game.
Frogs and Lobsters.....and Owls??

We headed out on Thursday and stayed with some of my not quite conventional family. Getting to bed before midnight might have been smarter but the talking and laughing kept going on. 

My first game was scheduled for Friday afternoon and all 6 slots were full. As our time was starting to run out, the Emigre commander made  a bold dash to get the supply train at least, into the hands of the Chouans  but the cards gave the Republicans the initiative and their cavalry over ran the convoy while their infantry broke the Debrouiller  Regiment of Emigres. In one of the playtests, the French  had managed to attempt something similar, but lost the fight by a hair so the convoy got through.

In the evening, I played in the H.A.W.K.S, Bastogne game. They are a Maryland gaming club who adopted me late last century after I started cohosting convention games with Rob Dean. Covid put a temporary stop to that but not a permanent one.  
https://derresinkavalier.blogspot.com/

On  Saturday morning, I got a chance to play a few turns of a 54mm Napoleonic game run by Alan of the Der Resin Cavalier Blog using the About Napoleon rules by Dirk Donvil. There had been some bumps in the scheduling and registration system, and like myself, Alan, and his game temporarily vanished from the website, so I was the only registered player. However, once we caught up a bit after a 4 year break, we conscripted another player and got a few turns in. The rules seem simple and effective enough to be worth checking out.

At last it was Saturday evening and time for my Syrian game. 


During my solo test games, the British and Turks always managed to hold the well despite some desperate fighting. I was afraid the game was unbalanced but that day they put my fears to rest and were awarded the victory after a long, tough fight.

Last Photo of the game.

Sunday morning I hung around chatting with friends I haven't seen in 4 years then Brent and I hit the road for home.


Normal life will resume soon.


17 comments:

  1. Looks like a great weekend with old friends and new games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great looking games there, glad you had a good time .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds a terrific time. Your game looks great . So pleased you enjoyed it and caught up with friends old and new.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspiring stuff!! 👍🏼👍🏼. Glad all went well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clearly one of those memorable and convivial days that will stay with you a long time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your games looks fantastic. Conventional family? Real life? What are these concepts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks and sounds like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that looked like a splendid time all round…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like hunger to improve the taste of even a simple meal.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad it was a good trip, and sorry I wasn't able to be there this year!

    ReplyDelete