Saturday, July 25, 2026

The Officer's Mess

When I made my list of "periods" I was unsure about my assorted melange of troops from the War of 1812, the US vs Mexico war and the 1830's Canadian rebellions. 

Yup, what a mess I'm making!

One option would involve tripling the number of figures so that I could do all three, usually to be used once in a blue moon. Other options were to ditch them all, continue using the mishmash of troops, or keep a token 1812 unit for each side to go on a shelf and let me focus on the 1830s. 

For a start, I will do opposing British and US forces (under the guise of Faraway and Oberhilse. That will give me a fictional war  in the mid-19thC. Same weapons but different terrain and tactics. 

,



6 comments:

  1. That looks like a mixed bag of joy and potential!
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can’t seem to get the photo, just a white blank space. A heady mix of technical incompetence, Blogger and I combined.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Decisions, decisions! I'm sure the best way forward will become clear after a couple of nights to sleep on it!

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll endorse Prufrock's "couple of nights of sleep," but my first thought is to standardize basing, and to be more concerned with troop types and telling sides apart than with precise dates of uniforms--especially since the standard uniform guides seldom give much space to Oberhilse and Faraway. You need two smoothbore-armed armies--one primarily in blue and one primarily in red--and a force of less uniformed troops which might be rebels in one set of engagements and auxilliaries in another. Surely having some regiments in caps and some in shakos is not without historical precedent? Mexico is not one of my areas of expertise, much less pseudo-Mexico. But surely there were at least a few white summer uniforms, and I do seem to recall at least one unit in red coats? Anyway, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Confirm... picture not seeable...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Confirm... picture not seeable...

    ReplyDelete