EXERT FROM APPENDIX 1 from Don Featherstone's Battles With Model Soldiers
(The book that got me started.)

"Nothing in these pages is a dictate, no word says you must or you shall do it this way. On the contrary, the book sets out from the very beginning to stimulate the reader to think for himself, and to use what he has read merely as a foundation for efforts and ideas which reflect his own temperament and character. Only in this way will he obtain maximum satisfaction from the hobby of battling with model soldiers."

-Don Featherstone 1918 - 2013

Sunday, June 18, 2017

One for the Gaffer

OK so I'm not technically a Dad, but I look after a pack of hounds as well as a couple of cats and a bird, soooo...... I took some time for a quick Father's Day game.

Despite my best camera instincts, this shot is surprisingly true to the actual colours on the table.

My original idea was to do a big MacDuff game but there were other things (chore type things) and I didn't want to mess with any campaign backstories. I also didn't feel like playing MacDuff which is a different matter. 

Anyway, the lads from Faraway and Oberhilse are always up for a brawl. Since the OHW wargame scenario was still 3/4 set up, I just went with that, with a terrain tweak, and improvised rules as I went, sort of a retro-single figure version of Hearts of Tin: variable moves, turn initiative, detached unit command roll, firing by individuals, and a return to a morale roll for under strength units.  
Mid game. One attack on the house has been repulsed, the next will succeed but too little too late at too high a price.
Pity there were no War Correspondents present.
It all kinda worked pretty well and entertained me. I occasionally missed  the grid for measuring but enjoyed the flexibility of no grid. 

Lots to think about.

7 comments:

  1. As a fellow "Father" to our own dog (from whom I dutifully receive a Father's Day Card), I share your slanted observation of the day. Unfortunately, a morning breakfast interlude aside, the "stuff to do" end of things prevented me from playing with my toys this day, although I did get some "virtual" tinkering done in the form of a blog entry (just not the same thing). Thus, I take vicarious pleasure in yours: sounds very nice (thanks for posting).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our animals forgot ! and I think the dismembered mouse I found was not meant for me !? , Tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a father to both humans and dogs (is that even possible?) and a recipient of cards from all, I can only think what a splendid way to spend father's day! I spent most of mine cleaning the house although I did get treated to lunch...

    ReplyDelete