Saturday, April 10, 2010

In praise of backups

Just a wee diversion from wargames, after 25 years in IT support, I'm well aware of the importance of backing up data at home as well as at work. I don't know how often I sat and tried my best to look patient and understanding while someone poured out their woes and how they did back up their data, just last year or was it the year before, and of course some of the files are on the net, and they really meant to do it again, esp when their computer was starting to have trouble but they were busy and needed to go out and buy some new dvd's or a memory stick and now,  all those pictures of friends, games and figures, esp the once since sold off, the rules drafts and past failures, historical articles and books sought out and downloaded........ Well you know.

A requiem  for my old laptop will be held tonight, in the mean time, I'm going to go look in the mirror and look patient and understanding.

Exeunt humming "freedom's just another word for......."

3 comments:

  1. Have to admit, most of my stuff is backed up in at least 2 places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the freedom from worry that two external hard drives provide. I learnt my lesson the hard way 12 years ago. You have my sincere condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No need for condolences Rob, I have all of the really important stuff tucked away on my webserver and the really nostalgic stuff in either hardcopy or cd. Its the electronic equivalent of the stuff in the back cupboard that's gone. The stuff we pack-rats keep because one day, maybe we'll want that for something or may want to look at one of those 2,000 photos or read one of 3,000 kept emails again so just can't bring ourselves to toss some of it in the trash can. Gone now though! Feels kinda good actually!

    ReplyDelete