Saturday, October 24, 2020

Seizing the Pass: First Crack

 Well, what can I say, its been a rough week and I was tired..........

The ambush is sprung. Artillery, an MG and rifles open up from cover. Damn that smokeless powder! I think I need to make some little under fire markers, maybe some little dust clouds being kicked up when the bullets hit and some artillery shell explosions.

Nonetheless, I grabbed an hour this morning in between chores and played the game. Started OK but the the vulnerability of the armoured cars to rifle and machine gunfire came as a surprise, not what I remembered from past games. I quickly perused the 2 page rules, without bothering to hunt down one of my 1/2 dozen pairs of reading glasses, then decided to worry about it later. It was still 2:1 odds. 


The Advance Guard has been driven back but Ross's Rifles have a foothold in the village and are moving up the road. Behind them the guns are putting a hot fire down on the gun on the rocky hill while the Royals move up to support the attack. 


Ah! An assault on the village! hmm...perhaps I should have decided on troop qualities, morale, shock, etc before I started playing....... Oh well, all average then!



Ah, the enemy had reserves too.....the Advance Guard has pulled back to rally, the artillery has deployed and opened fire, Ross' Rifles have stormed the first farm and the Royals are moving up in support. So far so good but the game is half over.

The next problem was the dice and the initiative/chance deck, they were supposed to be impartial.......  Ah well, it was close enough at the end despite all, and I enjoyed it. 

Game Over  (13 of 15 turns played with 2 more being cancelled by jokers) 
The Oerbergers and villagers have suffered some heavy losses but rallied well and their rifles are still in the fight and holding the pass. The Queen's infantry seemed to have been discouraged by the vulnerability of the armoured cars and are mostly huddling in cover and refusing to rally. 

 The table is still set up so I think I'll have a "do over" tomorrow using the same battle plans, but the correct rules. Except maybe I should do something about the Irregular leader with sidekick who somehow became a company of mounted rifles midgame....

Lets see how the armoured cars affect things then!


16 comments:

  1. A great looking game though Ross, I look forward to the re-run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the whole table, terrain and minis, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is slowly coming together now that I've cut back a little on figure scales, periods, and rule sryles.

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy your reports. Aside from the great looking terrain, the glossy figures, the daring-do, they always seem to capture the wonder and excitement of toy soldiers, something I've treasured since I was a boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al, its an honest wonder and excitement....or a loose grip on reality, depends on who you talk to.

      Delete
  4. A top looking game; as expected from your 'preview' photograph.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another good game. Re morale, there's something to be said for waiting until the action starts then dicing for morale. Can't remember where it comes from - was a Spartan? - when someone said that the troops were brave and got a reply along the lines of 'yes, they were brave ON THAT DAY. Weren't there lots of cases of Green Union regiments in the US Civil War running away before they were even fired on and crowding the streets of New York? Obviously veterans a lot more reliable, but can still add to the fun/frustrating aspect of a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I roll all of that into the simple "hits" and rally rules which depend a lot on the fickle 1d6. Troops not yet broken will eventually rally if left alone, even if it takes a week, but once units break, well, some will, some won't.

      Delete
  6. Very much a good looking battle there Ross - your Toy Soldiers look terrific. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice Ross...
    I always like how good khaki looks with a bit of gloss...

    All the best. Aly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, I like to think that glossy khaki shows just how serious the game is.

      Delete