Sunday, December 29, 2019

The Same but Different

I think this little skirmish played 10 years ago might have been the first game for my nascent Prince Valiant collection. (See my Prince Valiant page for more)


In any event the majority of the games have used Medieval Mayhem, a set of rules written by Rob Dean (with some input from me) in 2002 and later published in Battlegames. Its still a viable choice but I've been playing around with other ideas, usually for more of an old  school "battle" set of rules but this is supposed to be my one "skirmish" game so I'm taking another run at it. My first thought was to go back to Mayhem but recently The Duke of Tragardland did a blog post about skirmish games on a map with irregularly shaped areas which suddenly reminded me of the one shot Privateer Raid game using irregular areas I did five years ago.  (Click here to see the rules)

I'd actually forgotten that this game was why I made my little wooden houses!

Reviewing that post got my brain cranking over so I've taken some ideas from that game and modified the to make a draft of a new Prince Valiant skirmish game on a grid for me to try with my old Elastolins for the last game of the year.

(If they work I'll share them! )


6 comments:

  1. What's the advantage / goal of using the irregular areas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on how you shape them. For example you can make choke points by having an area that only has boundaries with a few other areas or make rough terrain slower to move through by making those areas smaller and increase the speed of ships by making sea areas larger, etc but of course, that implies a bespoke map for each scenario.

      I'm not actually going there, just looking at using the grid to cut out the measuring while also making it easier to have temporary groups rather than fixed units without allowing individuals to form pseudo groups (long story).

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to reading about another Prince Valiant game Ross and I'm interested to see how the Irregular Areas work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, well, actually I'll be using my regular squares rather than doing a new cloth.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, I started buying a few about 15 years ago, mostly broken or unpainted kits and then some proper ones and all of a sudden they became cheaper and in 2016 I was offered a large lot at a bargain price. Between Prince Valiant, Romans etc and 16thC I've got a few hundred now. Still slowly working at updating the painting and assembling kit.

      I think they are marvelous repainted. Dark Age skirmish

      Delete