Monday, May 24, 2021

All Things Must End

Well, another Huzzah convention has come and gone and while it was a virtual one which didn't require travel, I'm as tired and happy as I usually am after three weeks of intense planning, preparation,  playing, shopping and socializing  and driving a 2,000 km round trip! Of course during the last three weeks,  I designed and solo tested a scenario, hosted 4 remote wargames, and played in one, all without slacking on spring yardwork! Not too bad for an old guy.

Now on to the last game: Frogs and Lobsters:


Here's a few mid game screen captures from two different players each a few thousand kilometres away, one in New Jersey, the other in Alberta followed by an overview photo that I took here in Nova Scotia after the game was over.

Early in the game, the right hand Republican column pushes ahead.


A broader view mid game, the Yellow Hussars were repulsed by the small convoy guard but the Black Hussars have just seized it. The Royal Navy landing party didn't do quite so well this game.  

Royalist Riflemen launched a counter attack before the Hussars could reform and against the odds took back the convoy. The armies were now engaged across the whole table.

Lastly, an overview of the end of the game here in Nova Scotia: 

My thanks to the organizers for organizing this virtual con and getting me off my lazy butt, and to all of the players who played in my games included the vital learning games as well as the actual convention ones. There is now talk of more remote games amongst our informal wargaming group here but once I get some updated gear and learn some alternate platforms like Discord,  I will probably post periodic calls for volunteers for some international remote games.  

Time for a change of subject now. I think a bit of painting is in order before I play another game.

16 comments:

  1. There is nothing like a good scrimmage minis scenario to help fire up the ol' motivation on the end of the paintbrush

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad all went well, mission accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see a Hornblower inspired game Ross, looks fun as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's that damn cart, I'm telling you . . . ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were rather determined to reach their destination on schedule!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. and to all the very patient and forgiving guin...err..players.

      Delete
  6. Hang on, hang on. "There's something wrong with our bloody Navy today" if they "they didn't do quite so well".

    I have sent a letter to The Admiralty already....damned fine game nonetheless.

    I look forward to The Old School style of wargame where you can see your opponent in the same room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well they didn't hold the bridge as long but they died at their posts rather than retiring to the local Tavern like the last crew!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun and success all round. Well done Ross.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't have got there without advice and my brave volunteers!

      Delete
  9. Splendid stuff Ross...
    I suppose you could always add a sound effect tape of a busy wargames convention in the background... to set the ‘mood’..😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beleive me, there was plenty of chatter and background noise, esp when my wife let the pack out.

      Delete