Friday, June 4, 2021

Another Fallen Hero

 Word has spread quickly about the death of Duncan MacFarlane, founder and one-time editor of Miniature Wargames and Wargames Illustrated, both magazines with the pull to appear in magazine stalls and hobby shops even in obscure corners of the Commonwealth.

In those days before the internet, such magazines, including the Courier over here, were vital sources of inspiration,  information and advertising for those of us in the boonies with little or no access to relevant shops and shows/conventions, slogging it out with a handful of comrades in arms.

I didn't make the front cover but didn't care.


I can't pass on any anecdotes, the only time I met him was when I found myself scanning the same publications as him at a stall at Historicon, read his nametag and exchanged a few words. But he stands high in my regard, not only for his magazines  but because he was the first editor to publish an article by me. (#23) 

The article included a set of rules so he probably has a lot to answer for to other gamers, but if it wasn't for Duncan and then Dick Bryant, this blog probably wouldn't exist.

Thank you Duncan, may you rest in peace.

8 comments:

  1. I used to see him at shows (when I helped S&A Scenics) , very much the eccentric Englishman , his influence in the wargaming hobby via the magazines did much to popularise it with a generation of gamers , a great man of wargaming .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and a proper character from what I've been reading!

      Delete
  2. Sadly missed, he was very influential in the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before, my time, but a debt is owed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I “discovered” the hobby of war gaming thanks to Miniature Wargames number 1 appearing on the shelf in John Menzies newsagent...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the '70's I used to subscribe to Gene McCoy's Wargames Digest, a good mag with info and scenarios with a few small B&W photos, usually fuzzy. The Courier in the 80's was a step up and an even better mag but MW was a whole different experience.

      Delete