Friday, April 8, 2022

Meanwhile, Back At The Ranch....

When I broke out my fictional version of the historical Metis (the descendants of marriages between of First Nations women and mostly French and Scottish men who had worked in the fur trade in one capacity or other) for my North West Rebellion, I realized that I hadn't reorganized them from their original 3 figure units into the current 4 figure Cavalry or Mounted Rifle units. I started looking in the spares box for some bits and bodies with which to make another figure.

54mm Britain's conversions + 1 PA Cowboy (kneeling w butt on ground

When I came across one of these large 40mm (probably over 45mm if he stood up) PA Holgar Ericson cowboys. I noticed that his hatted head looked like it might be big enough to fit on a kneeling guardsman  to add some variety but when I set the two figures down, side by side, I realized that while he's a little smaller, he was not unnaturally smaller. He was more like, lets say me next to Rob Dean or many other people. (Remember, many of the older Britain's were just over 52mm). It was even less noticeable because he was kneeling, as are two or his neighbours. Sounded like a quick and easy answer and it was.

Of course I need some standing horses to remind me that they are Mounted Rifles, not Infantry, and.......  


7 comments:

  1. Such simple poses and yet so full of character! Looks like they would make a fun skirmishing force with but a few figures per side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britain's did have a knack. I suspect the old toy soldiers could be fun in a "skirmish" game for those who enjoy such things.

      Delete
  2. Most effective conversions, looking forward to seeing them in action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ross, its always fun to see how others augment their collection through conversions. Uncannily, I picked up this week some plastic French naval figures but they turned out to be 48mm. Having 'double' based them, I think they can help my modest collection of WW2 Dutch 50-54mm.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look surprisingly reasonable together. Once we get into “vintage toy” mode as a style, I’m not sure how consistent the sizes need to be anyway. My childhood soliders included some fairly petite 54s and some solid 60s and I didn’t worry about it at the time …

    ReplyDelete