Monday, April 4, 2022

Painting a Flower

 A Flower of the Forest that is!


The first painted Triguard Miniatures 40mm Scots pikemen.

Yes I know, two years ago, after the last Anglo-Scots wargame, I said that I was going to focus on Henry VIII's campaigns in France and not add to my Scots. Well, it's not my fault, I didn't start a Kickstarter, I don't even remember how it came to my attention, and after all, it's designed for The Bruce's campaigns! However........they were such nice sculpts, and after all, some bits of armour and fashion either stayed fashionable or were used by those who had to go with granddad's old helmet.

The Triguard figure on the viewers left, my decade old original homecast figures (apart from the officer's stolen head) on the right. A....'slight' :) difference in quality of sculpting but these are some of the first that I did from scratch.

So, I poked about a bit and found that they were going to be added to the  Triguard catalogue who are the new home of the lovely but big Trident AWI figures that I had enjoyed painting a decade ago, as well as Vanguard Medieval's. That gave me hope that this would be a reinforcement that wouldn't make my home sculpted & cast figures look like giants.  They are still a head taller than my castings when they are standing straight but then most people are a head taller than me and more heavily muscled so that doesn't bother me. The heads are a similar size which is what one really notices. I can remember when we would have to doff our headgear indoors and if they went on a table, it was hard to tell the small hats from the big ones till you put one on without checking the name inside and it came down over your nose! 

Of course, they are even more like Darby and the Little Folk when they come up against the Elastolin's, but the English Channel can keep them apart.

So........16th C Scotland is back on the menu boys! I have enough of the new figures that once mixed in with a few more of my homecast ones, I'll have enough Scots for my needs, after all, the plan was never to refight Flodden or Pinkie but rather to set scenarios during the decades of raids, ambushes and sieges.

A quick look at some of the bits and pieces. Some of them came with separate heads and my homemade 16thC wallets fit quite nicely so I will use some of them to help them fit in even though the faces aren't as well done. The green guy was my original Highland archer master whose mould broke early on. He was so much taller than everyone else that I just left it but I might fix him up a bit and make a new mould.

Ok, looking at that pile, and my current rate of assembly and painting, and the need to add some more English, despite my quick paint method,  it's going to take a while for me to get them all table ready, and then Triguard has some Islemen, gallolach etc in the works....but I don't need them all for every game so I'll shoot for sometime in May.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. New? Well,an overdue change in blog topics anyway.

      The last early 16th blog post was in August but the Scots weren't involved, their last one was in the fall of 2020. Their first outing was in 2002 but before that there was a 15mm version until the English left Nova Scotia to the Scots. I blame Nigel Tranter.

      Delete
  2. >16th C Scotland is back on the menu boys!
    >designed for The Bruce's campaigns!

    "Bruce's campaigns": Excellent! I like it. The name has a nice ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does, of course they'll be fighting Ross's campaigns! :)

      Delete
  3. >A quick look at some of the bits and pieces...

    (hm. I know it's wrong, but somehow I'm taking growing solace in viewing others'..."future trials" re: my own relatively recent figure frustrations.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, so far, apart from the fact that they are well designed and cast, they're metal and so much easier to assemble, less fragile once done and easier to repair. In 40mm, they are usually also fewer!

      Delete
  4. Or Flower of Scotland?

    (great song)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great song, and an inspirational one, as opposed the the 17thC lament for the dead of Flodden, best known these days as the pipe lament played at funerals.

      Delete
  5. Interesting era , looking forward to seeing your progress .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect it'll drag on a bit but hopefully I'll do a few stands before my hands and head wander and maybe even get them on the table ere April is done.

      Delete
  6. Always interesting to see where you take a project. Looking forward to this.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its likely to be slow going, but they'll be on the table before the end of the year....ok hopefully sooner, at least some of them...

      Delete
  7. Exciting period and great work so far. Looking forward to seeing where all this goes…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not much farther than the previous games, just with a few more Scots pike.

      Delete