Wednesday, February 15, 2023

When In Doubt, Fall Back to Bases......(sic)

When I started planning my games for Huzzah, I was thinking of a semi-skirmish game with two "GameMasters" and individual player goals as well as team goals. This sort of game isn't really "my thing" but that's where my 40mm French Revolution collection began, that's where "MacDuff to the Frontier" started, and that would allow Rob's 40mm Scarlet Pimpernel skirmish game collection and mine to collaborate to pull it off.

Dress rehearsal shot before flocking.

Well, things have changed. I'm going to be sole GM and the test games along with past convention experiences, have convinced me that what I'm planning is not going to work within 4 hours, with 1 GM and 6 gamers, unfamiliar with the rules and each having individual victory conditions and 30-40 individual figures to move on a 5'x8' table with only 1 active at a time, and a 4 hour window.

I needed to speed up play and simplify things.

My standard basing, all on 6cm wide bases. Nothing like semiflats for getting extra cavalry on a base!

There were a couple of options but it was nearly inevitable that I decided to fall back on my personal preferences. So, the armies are back on bases with "companies" as the lowest unit. These being grouped into battalions and squadrons with allowances for detached companies in certain situations. That in turned called for different rules and after a year of puttering about, I settled on re-writing "A Whiff of Dice" (click to see the set to be tested) as a variant of my old "Hearts of Tin" rules which were meant for this sort of things and have worked before. 

A Demi-Brigade with skirmishers deployed and support from artillery and cavalry.

I have some local volunteers ready to play some more test games when I'm ready, and the armies are growing rapidly. Something close to double would be nice but half again as much will do and what I've got now will be enough for some test games. 

The first test will be a solo game on Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Go with what you know is always a good default for hosting a game. I prefer multi-figure basing for almost every application.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has my preference for decades though I've occasionally tried other options, just in case, or to contribute to or match someone else's project or armies. In this case, I started with the intent to add a few figures to Rob's game.,. Likewise when I started casting to add units to the HAWKS 40mm Charge! games. Mind you by the the HAWKS tackled CS Grant's Lobositz scenario, We were started to use trays.

      Delete