Wednesday, February 22, 2023

The Next Step

After spending too much time worrying (like a terrier) at my rules, I decided it was time to test one of the scenarios I plan to run, a slightly bigger version than I ran last summer.  

Starting to lay out terrain and take note of what needs to be repaired, replaced, or added.

The tables at Huzzah! will be 5'x8'. My 5'x4' table at home just isn't really "doing it" for me in general and doesn't quite capture the full feel of the scenario. With one side needing to be up against the wall and me needing to reach the middle from somewhere I decided to just add a foot on one end, something that I had had an argument with myself about when I replaced the table top last year. I'd seriously considered a 5'x5' table then, but wanted the extra space. A few things have changed and I'm now testing a 5'x5' tabletop. A foot or so of ocean on one end of the larger table will nicely fill the table while leaving room  off the gaming cloth for coffee cups, tape measures, dice etc, 

By the time another minor snow event hits us on Friday, I should have sufficiently finished refurbishing, repairing and laying out terrain, and be ready to playtest again.

7 comments:

  1. Thewre's always one more job to do I find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After long experience, I always plan for a buffer zone around the edge of the table for cups, reference sheets, elbows, etc, etc (even if it is ostensibly in the playing area, it is usually not an active zone). As a player, I find that a game that takes these sorts of logistics into account can make the difference between a good gaming experience and a less than satisfactory one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. always important to playtest in as close as possible to the actual space use

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its certainly helps, but these days, its not always possible anymore.

      Delete
    2. I hear you Ross, I hear you.

      Delete