Saturday, February 25, 2023

Vive Le Roi!

 My Breton "Chouans" are now ready for battle the new (old) way.


The figures are a real mishmash.They started as a mix of 1837 Upper Canadian rebels, 1812 militia, pirates and spanish guerillas, conscripted for a one off game. Since then various additional figures have been converted based on the handful of pictures I've been able to find. 90% are original sculpts, home cast, then converted to fit the new role and to provide variety. The 10% include some Perry Spanish guerrillas and converted Prince August cowboys and SYW figures. 

All in all, probably no more that Hollywood levels of historical accuracy but that works for me in this context.

4 stands of pikemen, 6 stands of skirmishers with muskets and 2 leaders. The flag is the Bourbons' "unstained banner", a white cross on a white field. (I need to have another go at two shades of white.....) 

Having added a 5'x1' unpainted extension to my table I decided to throw one of my cloths over it. I decided that this one with fields, forest and roads painted on would make for the simplest setup. I need to add a few more hedges etc and round up some teamsters for the mule train, maybe add some more French cavalry (just because), and then give it a go.

12 comments:

  1. Vive le Roi indeed! These look the part .
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross Mac,

    I love your cobbled together militia! It’s a great example of what you can do with all those odds and ends of figures one seems to end up with.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There a few odds and sods like Perry Spanish priests and guerillas, and some converted Prince August homecasts but the vast majority are conversions of my own original homecast sculpts

      Delete
  3. Ross, are your suggesting that Hollywood, with all their research resources, might get things wrong sometimes? I'm shocked. Anyway, they look good, and these days, for me, that's the important thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no, that wasn't criticism, it was appreciation of their imagination.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your removed comment was quite right and not by accident on my part

      Delete
    2. Sorry Ross, I added a link to a great book, but it was so long it screwed up the entire post. It’s aimed at older kids, it’s in French. Author Henri Servien, “Le Petite Histoire De Les Guerres En Vendee”. Lavishly illustrated with pencil drawings of the people and towns and several battles.

      Delete
    3. Get the book used from Abebooks. Amazon wants an arm and a leg. https://pictures.abebooks.com/inventory/30010909639.jpg

      Delete
    4. Sounds like a book I would have really wanted 30 yrs ago for my 15mm armies or even 6 months ago! I'll keep it in mind for later. I hate to say it but right now time and money are short and I still have glossy Toy Soldier Turkish army to build by May so, for now, what I have for my Bretons will have to do.

      Delete
  5. As usual, Ross, the look and style of your battlefields seems to open up a whole new and different world that begs to be explored. Always enjoy visiting this blog.

    ReplyDelete