Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Ubique!

Ok so that's the Royal Artillery's motto but it'll make sense.

Yesterday I bit the bullet and started working on a Republican horse artillery stand. Finding uniform info was harder than I expected and finding the right bits was initially harder. Early on the horse artillery seems to have worn a tight, long tailed, coat with various headgear from a crested helmet to hussar cap etc. The head was no problem but the body was and it looked like a lot of work ahead of me. 

I kept looking. Luckily, when I rechecked a famous painting of the Battle of the Pyramids, there they were, horse artillery in hussar style uniforms with a stovepipe shako. A short lived variant as far as I can see but it was just what I wanted and I could do easily. So original head of 1812 US infantry's stovepipe style shako and my universal gunners.

1798 French Horse Artillery.

If the gunners look familiar, it's because they're based on the same Zinnbrigade 1900 Prussian molds as I used for the Turkish artillery.

From 1918 to 1798

This lot aren't quite universal, but they'll be even closer when I get around to converting a Roman onager crew for my Prince Valiant games.


9 comments:

  1. Nice to see a more unusual uniform for the gunners, great work on them. Those moulds are really useful to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fine collection of guns Ross! The artillery through the ages picture is splendid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I'll do some Roman onager crews using some of these 1900 gunners.

      Delete
  3. Some interesting conversions on the basic figures there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't help myself. I was converting figures for display before I was gaming.

      Delete
  4. Great guns! These are all splendid models indeed.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these conversions. It really speaks to your imagination and your ability to see past the figure in front of you to its potential.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cracking stuff Ross…
    These certainly are very useful moulds…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete