Monday, April 17, 2023

Showing Off

Last weekend I responded to a request to help man a booth at a hobby and craft display in Halifax. The lazy part of me thought "hour drive each way, out of touch with the current hobby, why would I?", the rest said sure, I can do my bit and come on Sunday.

So I put aside preparing tax submissions and preparations for Huzzah, put together a display with one of those slideshow digital picture thingies, a selection of books and rules over the last 1/2 century, a wide range of miniatures in scales from 15mm to 54mm and prepared a small simple game as a demo or "give it a go"sort of thing. 



Now, when I got there, Paul greeted me with the news that he had somehow not packed his "mat" for the demo game he was going to run and could he borrow mine. "No problem", until I opened my bin and......no tablecloth/battlemat. What!??  It had just been that kind of morning. But "Nil Desperandum" I rummaged around in my backhatch and found two cheap green cloth shopping bags. A few minutes with scissors and some masking tape followed by a ruler and felt pen and Voila! a gridded battlefield suitable for a small F&IW game using the Square Brigadier.



By the time the show closed up and I headed home, I'd chatted with various fellow wargamers of all sorts, with various interests as well as talking to various passers by who had never imagined such a hobby. By the end of the day my feet, legs and brain were tired but it had been a good day. 

Now,back to preparing for Huzzah!.......and getting around to that pesky tax return nonsense.......


10 comments:

  1. Necessity is the mother of invention ….. you can’t keep a good man down :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was raised by parents who had grown up during the "Great Depression" and passed on some of those lessons on making do with what you had.

      Delete
  2. Sounds a positive day indeed and well done for quick thinking.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to come out out my virtual closet now and again.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant improvisation saved the day! Maybe you will start a trend for shopping bag battlefields. If you could find a way to clip it back together again, you could carry troops and terrain in the bag - a truly Portable Wargame..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think I didn't think about it! Only for a few seconds but....
      our Mom grew up in the 'Great Depression " and it's left its mark on her and us!

      Delete
  4. Quick thinking! Looks like fun show, too (I see books and toy soldiers, I pretty much need nothing else from a show!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid…
    Proving to anyone who might doubt it… everything is potential wargames terrain.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last minute improvising - my standard way of operating!

    ReplyDelete