Sunday, August 20, 2023

At Aboukir and Acre (Pt1)

Ahhhh,  G. A. Henty! Bless him and his historical novels for young folks! How much I enjoyed them and how much I learned from them and what a thirst for more they inspired! 

(Disclaimer) Now, this scenario is NOT based on anything G.A. Henty (or anyone else) wrote OR anything that actually happened (that I'm aware of anyway), but nonetheless, I have set it during Bonaparte's Siege of Acre with our intrepid hero, Lt(RN) Trumpeter, having been ordered to take a Naval gun crew and a party of (not yet royal) Marines inland to assist the Turks to deny a crucial well to the French and to keep open communications with Syria and Palestine. 

I'll leave a discussion of rules and so on for another post except to add that the game was played using the latest update of "The Square Brigadier" on a 5" square grid. 

(Note: I apologize for the lack of quality of the photos. I need to work on my lighting as the mix of sources confuses my poor cell phone which is my sole camera these days.)

___________

Turkish cavalry scouts have been keeping an eye on the French column as it approached Ta Bel so the British and Turkish garrison was ready, including the local villagers with their Jezails who had taken to the hills.
.
Supported by a squadron of Hussars, a detachment of the Camel Corps was sent to clear the hills only to surprised by a detachment of pack artillery.




These were Bonaparte's men though, and they were not dismayed by a few brigands on their flank. The main attack pressed on.

<<To be continued!>>

 

5 comments:

  1. I really like the look of your ruined tower Ross - I'm inspired to make something similar (the Emergency Room is on standby)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those little things. 15 yrs ago, when the Battlegames collection of new CS Grant Tabletop Teasers was being prepared, I had been invited to be one of the wargamers who submitted an illustrated report of a replay of one of the teasers in a different era than the one used by Charles in the original teaser as published. I got the one about the French "rescuing"
      ancient treasures. I replayed it with Persians vs Assyrians and wanted some ruins to show that even in the days of the first Persian Empire, Egypt was ancient. About 10 minutes with foamcore, some glue, filler, and paint and Voila! A ruined watchtower that I could throw away afterwards, except 15 years later, it still shows up on my table.

      Delete
  2. Ross Mac,

    I was also brought up on Henty’s books, but nowadays they are definitely in the non-PC section of the library (I.e. the banned section or the rubbish skip).

    It looks like an interesting scenario and I look forward to seeing the next part.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least they're available on Amazon, inc ebook versions.

      Delete
    2. Ross Mac,

      I didn’t know that! I must see what is available as ebooks.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete