Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Annnnnnnnd....We're BACK!

August has been 'that sort of month', so far. A little bit of time here and there for thinking, reorganizing, converting and painting/repainting a handful of shiny 54mm toy soldiers and so on. Hopefully (knock knock knock) some gaming will follow shortly. 

In the meantime here is a shot of the result.

The Dominion of Faraway (Red) faces the Oberhilse Free State (Blue).

The Fusiliers on the right were one of my 1st homecast units, cast and painted late in the 1990's. At the time, I was using my 'With MacDuff To The Frontier' rules so they were organised into battalions with a command group and 2-4 'companies', each of and 6-8 officers, ncos and privates. That worked OK on my 6'x10' table for a game lasting 4-6 hours, but I no longer have either the room nor the stamina of those days. So, one of my goals for July was to determine a final organization and rules to let me play 1-3 hour 54mm games on my 5'x5' table.  Over the last dozen years, most of my games were played on a grid, originally using Bob Cordery's The Portable Wargame, then later, various versions of my Square Brigadier. I have decided to keep the grid as an option but to also be able to use the same armies off grid or on grid as the situation called for.

2014: My first 54mm Portable Wargame (I think), loosely (very loosely) inspired by the 1885 battle of Cut Knife Creek during our Northwest Rebellion.

I took two runs at the scenario in the previous blogpost, using different rules and organizations. The one posted saw the troops organized as 1 stand=a"company" grouped into 3 company 'battalions', and since the game had played well, I started thinking about reorganizing both armies, and expanding them. Luckily, life interfered with hobby as sometimes happens, and by the time I got back to it, I started seeing some issues such as breaking 3 stand units into 1/2 units as called for in some scenarios, fitting a unit into a house, or a grid square, that was only designed to hold 1 or 2 stands, what to do with leftover figures or the need to add figures to most units..........

I started looking back over past 54mm blogposts......

August 2016. The armies begin to form, ready to do battle under the Square Brigadier. 

and decided that units with 2x60mm wide stands, each stand holding 3 infantry or 2 cavalry figures, had been in use both on and off grid (5" grids) for some years now, and had served very well.  

I'm about to experience a long, long, weekend home alone (not counting 4 footed occupants) and will be surprised and disappointed if I don't get a couple of games in.


7 comments:

  1. I love final organizations and rules! What number of each are we currently on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do so enjoy long weekends alone. I never seem to accomplish as much as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the weekend and I look forward to hearing of the games.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the look of the 2014 game - enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiring photos indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Table looks great as do they figures. Hope you get some good gaming time in this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Despite having the room for larger setups, recent events and disruptions in these parts have me thinking more and more about smaller footprint games, making 4x6 the norm with the occasional larger venue for special cases. As you suggest, life, energy, and a dash of utility do start to come into play.

    ReplyDelete