Friday, June 21, 2019

Bring up the guns!

Late last century, I ordered a 4 horse Britain's Royal Horse Artillery team from Soldierpac. Today, I painted them.
Recast Britains' RHA team from Soldierpac, BMC limber, AIP 7pdr RBL gun.

Well, some of them. I always intended to use a plastic ACW limber but somehow I kept putting it off. Properly speaking I should have had a 6 horse team plus mounted gunners and a mounted battery commander but even a 4 horse team took up an 18" long piece of turf on my 6'x10' table. On my 4'x6' table it would nearly reach the middle.  I decided to assign one pair of horses to the rebel horse artillery and let the galloping horses and uniforms identify the horse artillery. Practical rather than spectacular.



The limber itself is from the pack of BMC guns and limbers. I cut down the shaft, drilled a teeny hole in the end of it and inserted a wire hook so that I can hook the limber to the horses or remove it. I still need to do limber riders but the seated WW1 gunner that I have is headless and needs to be stripped, repaired, and umhh...cloned.



Right, its Friday, its pouring rain, time for a game.

11 comments:

  1. I hate painting limbers and teams , but nothing enhances the table like limbers and teams .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind doing them but they do take up a LOT of tablespace! (which is the point of doing them really)

      Delete
  2. Ross Mac,

    You've done a very nice job converting and painting the artillery limber, and it looks great alongside the horse team. It will no doubt grace your tabletop in the very near future.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Nothing dresses up the look of a table like limbers, even though I’ve never found the fortitude to add them (much less fabricate them). Love the RHA look of your teams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing adds more to the tabletop than the presence of a feline or two.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely need addition to the wargames table , it has painted up splendidly. The cloud formation in the corner of the table is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people claim that you can make it look like a cat if you squint,

      Delete
  6. Uh-oh that looks like my cat on your table, I wondered where he's got to!

    ReplyDelete